1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Praise Jeebus!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Feb 6, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You're lumping a lot of disparate things together there. I've never seen anyone make a convincing scientific argument for creationism, the way I have for evolution. So yeah, I'll laugh at a creationist out of hand.

I have, however, seen some fairly credible minds who don't think there is a global warming trend, based on trends and scientific evidence. It's certainly not cut and dried, the way you suggested by lumping it in with creationism.

Abortion, and whether birth control constitutes a form of abortion, isn't something you can prove or disprove scientifically. It's a moral question.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

These people are certainly Christians. There is no need for quotes or caveats. They may not be your brand, but they are certainly under the umbrella.

In the end, the whole situation is awful. I can only suspect that Haggard went through a Clockwork Orange type of program.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Surely there must be an online quizz to find out if you're "completely heterosexual".

What if you're metrosexual? Does that disquality you?

"You're 98.5% heterosexual. We're taking away 1.5% for renting The English Patient"

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So if the "he's not gay, it was only the one guy he had the affair with and he's cured now" defense works, think that will work for everday type adultery?

"Honey, I know I was sleeping with my secretary for a year, but it doesn't count. It was just her. The girls in accounting wouldn't touch me. And I'm over it. She is dating an astronaut now, anyway."

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ragu, I'll spot you the global warming thing simply because I don't want to have the argument again.

But this:

Abortion, and whether birth control constitutes a form of abortion, isn't something you can prove or disprove scientifically. It's a moral question.

..is downright stupid.

Birth control -- in general - prevents ovulation, like the pill, or prevents fertilization, like a condom. In some very rare cases, some forms of birth control MAY -- and it has never been shown that this happens, only that the possibility cannot be ruled out, prevent a fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus. Neither of these things cause an abortion -- the destruction of an implanted, fertilized fetus.

There is a distinct scientific difference, despite what the harpies would tell you.

Whether abortion is right or wrong is a moral question. Whether birth control is a form of abortion is not. It is a scientific question, and it has been asked and answered for years now.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

"O my brothers, it was just like one starry old geezer who nuzzled my Cadbury's factory. But I'm like a new veck now, and won't spelunk no more, so strike that from your gulliver's record."

[burgess]
    That's what it's going to be then, brothers, as I come to the like end of this tale. You have been everywhere with your little droog Alex, suffering with him, and you have viddied some of the most grahzny bratchnies old Bog ever made, all on to your old droog Alex. And all it was was that I was young. But now as I end this story, brothers, I am not young, not no longer, oh no. Alex like groweth up, oh yes.

But where I itty now, O my brothers, is all on my oddy knocky, where you cannot go. Tomorrow is all like sweet flowers and the turning vonny earth and the stars and the old Luna up there and your old droog Alex all on his oddy knocky seeking like a mate. And all that cal. A terrible grahzny vonny world, really, O my brothers. And so farewell from your little droog. And to all others in this story profound shooms of lip-music brrrrr. And they can kiss my sharries. But you, O my brothers, remember sometimes thy little Alex that was. Amen. And all that cal.

[/burgess]

That's actually the last two paragraphs of the last chapter that was left out in U.S. editions of the book.

http://perso.orange.fr/chabrieres/texts/clockwork_orange.html

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I don't get it.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wasn't trying to make a joke. The story seemed to be placing great import on the fact that the guy is not gay and the "fact" that he had only slept with the one guy (numerous times apparently) seemed to be important to them.

Did they ever consider that if you are the busy, closeted leader of a massive evangelical church in Denver, that it's hard to meet a nice guy?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

We'll call it the "Christian-Right assfuck mulligan".

Who would you use yours on, Ace?

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Homosexuality is a choice and a sin, but apparently you're allowed a tryout period that doesn't affect your status. Haggard was safe as long as he didn't declare.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You're arguing apples and oranges. Someone who equates birth control and abortion doesn't frame their argument using YOUR neat terms. You're framing an argument that works for you, but you're not having the argument someone who disagrees is necessarily having.

That person believes that both constitute murder. The conversation begins and ends there. It isn't something you can prove "scientifically." To that person, they're both equal to murder. End of conversation. You can't prove or disprove that with scientific arguments that don't address the one overriding question: Are birth control or abortion right or wrong? It's a moral question, the same way that you can't prove that murder of a 32-year old person is wrong. It's either something you believe or you don't.

Your argument wouldn't have any effect on someone who disagrees with you. Ovulation isn't something humans do to themselves. It's something that happens naturally. Using a condom, taking a pill or using a vacuum cleaner to suck a fetus out of a uterus are not natural things. They are things humans do. And that subjects them to different people's ideas of what is morally right or wrong.

Trying to "prove" your moral code is useless. It isn't something that's proveable.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Am I kicking off or receiving?

Draft saved Draft deleted