1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PR people in NASCAR

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Speedway, Jul 18, 2008.

1. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Jon Edwards has always been good to me. Whenever I ask for a quick interview with Gordon, it's just that, quick. But it gets done. Cooper was great. GM, Ford, Dodge, Toyota people are all responsive. Jim Hunter is always friendly and accomodating whenever I have spoken to him. My experiences have almost always been pleasant with NASCAR people.

2. Grudge and RedSmith are off base. Edwards is the best in the business. And NASCAR's PR department has made great leaps forward from a decade ago, when their office consisted of one person. They have more than a dozen folks now, but they're rather specialized, so you kind of have to have an idea of who to go to. Grudge might not have, thus his less-than-satisfactory experience. But for the most part their people are very accommodating and very helpful, especially if you're from a market or a part of the country in which they're still trying to make inroads.

3. About to go out and head over to the track to cover this weekend's race and I found this story to be interesting. In the year and a half that I've had dealings with NASCAR PR people I can say there are some nice people and some complete idiots out there. I am still waiting one year later for my interview with one Ken Schrader after his PR person screwed that up.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Schrader? Really?

5. lono

lono Active Member

Yeah, typically when he shows up at the track, the first words out of his mouth are, "No press! No press!"

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if true, i don't blame him. i hate you fuckers, too. ;)

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Sorry guess I just got him on the wrong day the three times I've had to deal with him.

And two others I know who have decent stories about dealing with him are just idiots I guess.

Just like any PR guy, it's hit or miss. I seriously could have caught him on bad days or weekends.

8. imjustagirl

I heart Jon Edwards.

9. lono

lono Active Member

FIXED.

10. imjustagirl

My heart is not for one man, lono. You should know that.

11. lono

lono Active Member

Brook Jacoby understands.

Draft saved Draft deleted