1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poynter sports summit questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frylock, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Frylock

Frylock Member

I'm headed to St. Petersburg for the Poynter sports summit in April.
    For those who have been there, do you think it's best to stay in one of the hotels on their list or have you stayed in some good places nearby that are a little less pricey?
    Will I miss out on some of the experience if I stay somewhere else?
    What are some of the extras/attractions that everyone goes to while they're in the area?
    Thanks,
    Frylock

2. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

There's a Courtyard just down the street from one of the listed hotels that is cheaper and plenty decent.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

If you're there the 18th and 19th you could go see the White Sox play at the Trop. That's what I'd do.

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I'm staying at the Courtyard, and it's $109 a night; not cheap, but cheaper than the other two on the list.

I think the Dali museum is close to Poynter. And from 5 to 8 p.m. on Thursdays, admission is $5 (it's regularly $15). That'll be one of my stops.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

The Dali Museum is surreal.

6. JLawson

JLawson Member

I haven't been there for Poynter, at least not until this year, but I have been there before. Just up the street is a cool little shopping area where Dan Marino's restaurant is at (good food there). Also there is a pier nearby where you can go on bay cruises and look for dolphins and other sea life. If you have a rental car there are plenty of places to go hiking, including a bridge that used to be part of the freeway.
    There is an aquarium there too, which was pretty cool.
    If you haven't been to Tropicana Field, you aren't missing anything. It has to be the worst ballpark in the Major Leagues. But I'm sure I'll make the trip there anyway because there's nothing wrong with a little baseball.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

I love the Trop. I grew up going to games at Wrigley Field, so the first time I went to the Trop (also the first time I ever saw an indoor game), I thought it was pretty cool. It also helps that you can sit anywhere you want from inning to inning and the parking is free.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The Florida Aquarium in Channelside on the other side of the bay is a good time, and I love the Dali Museum. And if you don't want to go to Tropicana Field for MLB entertainment, the Clearwater Threshers and Tampa Yankees have really nice fields in the Florida State League. You can see the Threshers at Bright House Networks Field on the 18th, and the T-Yanks at Legends (soon to be Steinbrenner) Field on the 19th.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Get a few folks together and head to Derby Lane dog track about four miles north of downtown. Awesome place to be on a pleasant spring night.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

"Dan, this steak is undercooked."
    "Not my fault. It's Ingram's fault."

11. Excellent

12. File that under 'Sentence I Never Thought I'd Read.' ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted