1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poynter seminars

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ChollyTrippi, Apr 7, 2011.

1. ChollyTrippi

ChollyTrippi New Member

Anybody ever attended one? Thoughts?
    I recently applied for an upcoming workshop. Just curious.

2. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

I never went to one because the people who would approve the time off couldn't make a decision early enough.

From what I hear, it depends on the topic. Most people are skeptical as to whether the expense was worth it.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've been to a handful. Some are great. Some are awful.

4. Went to the sports summit a few years ago, and loved it.

Exactly what I needed to re-charge and come away with some specific section and story ideas that made me and my section better.

Now I just need time and money to get back to another :)

5. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Good subjects. Good instructors. A lot of it can be pie-in-the-sky stuff you would say during an interview but rarely would have the time, staff or resources to execute. The best part is seeing others who care so much about journalism.

6. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

That's the reason people gave for wondering if it was worth the expense.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sometimes they get outstanding speakers. Sometimes it's clear had to ask about 20 people before someone would agree to do it.

8. Frylock

Frylock Member

Did they stop doing the sports summit? I checked their site a few times and never found anything.
    Maybe I just overlooked it?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There are practical breakouts, inspirational breakouts - but when a reporter or editor that is given resources to devote eight weeks or more nailing down a project and you have a hard enough time cramming two stories and three briefs into an eight hour day, it's a kind of like some starving kid getting cooking lessons at Juiliard.
    That said, you do pick up some good tips that you can use. But I guarantee you will leave them with one part of you ready to write a Pulitzer winner on the opening of the local farmer's market - and one part of you figuring you might as well quit the business.
    And it's a great networking opportunity.

10. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

We had a couple of people go to a seminar related to computer-aided reporting. They came back and spent a lot of time working on a couple of projects. Those ran and were above average. Then the reporters left the paper, so there was not much bang for the buck. I doubt they passed along their knowledge before leaving, so I'm sure the paper was hesitant to go that route again.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

But the point should be noted - they went to the seminar and ended up leaving the paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted