1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Powerful Globe story on Jerry Remy's son

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"He didn't have a charge for 9 1/2 years!"

Bullshit. That was because your juiced-up spoiled brat had women so terrified they kept refusing to press charges.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Ugly cretin inside and out. His head looks like a toe with a face drawn on it.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So apparently Gerry Callahan devoted his radio show to pinpointing the real problem -- Jared Remy's previous victims, who are "culpable" in Martel's death because they gave in to the Remy family's pleas, and the reality of Jared getting away with it anyway, and did not testify.

http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/

He's wicked smaht, that Gerry Callahan.

ETA: At least according to the commenters, Callahan also said the article was a Globe vendetta due to Jared's expressed opposition to gay marriage.

4. Baron Scicluna

Another clueless conservative.

Then again, at least according to the Good Christians who love to cite the Bible, those women were just fulfilling their natural role as God intended.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Another clueless conservative" ironic given that it's likely that the guy kept getting second chances because of liberal laws and liberal judges of Massachusetts.

6. Baron Scicluna

The guy kept getting second chances because of his last name, not because of liberalism.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Jared Remy got away with all that because he was the Red Sox broadcaster's son?

That's Boston Wrong, and unbelievable.

He ought to be charged, retroactively and posthumously for the victim, with assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm, at least, in the beating of John Lloyd.

8. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

These kinds of stories (and this is a particularly well-researched and well-written example) are the worst to write, watching the system fail with tragic results.
    I remember reading a filing by a woman getting a restraining order against her boyfriend. I still remember his threat to you. "I'll pop a cap in your ass. I got nothing to lose."
    I was reading them after he did shoot her ... following a standoff and a police chase. I had to go looking for a bar with a Sunday liquor license that night.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Eric Moskowitz ‏@GlobeMoskowitz 1h
    Martel family lawyer: Martels will have guardianship of 5 year old Arianna; Remys will have visitation rights.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Something I found interesting, and that I'd never heard of before, was the option of "admitting sufficient cause/evidence/wrongdoing?," but no real remorse or apology, to get off with a lighter sentence, or no sentence, based on a judge's, uh, judgment?

Maybe some of the lawyers here could weigh in on that aspect of this case.

Geez, based on Jared Remy's and his lawyer's repeated "success," why would anyone ever want to go with a jury trial?

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Based on this Boston Mag article on the triple murder in Waltham I can see how the Watham
    police can screw up investigations.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/article/2014/02/25/waltham-murders-boston-marathon/

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I am far from an expert in criminal law, but the dirty secret is that the courts simply are not equipped to handle even a small fraction of the criminal cases which are out there. In domestic violence cases (a majority of his crimes), the victim often recants or isn't willing to testify and it can be really hard to get a criminal conviction. So you take the quasi-guilty plea. It is surprisingly that no judge put him away for even a small amount of time as the crimes grew.

Draft saved Draft deleted