1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Powerball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I live in Canada. My father in law bought all 3 of his daughters who live up here Powerball tickets and texted them to us with our names written on them.

The Florida tix were bought close to where him and his wife live and after the drawing they went away for the weekend and were out of contact which is pretty unusual.

We had a half baked idea that maybe they were not answering their phones because they were planning how to divvy up the $ but it turns out they were just having a well deserved vacation.

He told us that the hot rumor is that the winner is a Publix employee or a group of employees. Not sure how you could keep a group quiet but I hope a bunch of people won it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  2. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Melbourne Beach? Could be one of Doug Flutie's kin. #321 #localsknowwhatimtalkinbout

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

1.9 BILLION
    numbers now out.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I got the powerball on one of my tickets. I think that wins $10 or something.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Taking into account how many people likely bought tickets (the number goes up with big jackpots), what that might have meant for multiple winners, taxation and the smaller payouts than the jackpot winner if you pick fewer numbers, the expected value on a $2 ticket was somewhere between $1 and $1.5o. More than 95 percent of tickets get 0 numbers correct.

I'm just astounded that they can get a jackpot up to a little less than a billion dollars if you take it as a lump sum, and the game can still be that big of a rip off. I wish I could run a business like that for which there was so much irrational demand to get ripped off. When the jackpot isn't that large, if you figure it on an after-tax basis, they are getting people to give them $2 in return for something like 65 cents worth of true financial value. It boggles me that people do it.

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Sir, this is a 7-Eleven.

8. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

What’s the expected value when I go to a bar and buy a beer?

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Well, I’m not buying a ticket in hopes of winning a buck fitty.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And really, if its a single winning ticket, unless it's big group of people in a pool, take the annuity - if you need more than $100 m this year, before getting another $100m NEXT year - you have huge problems.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

An expected value is a financial concept. When you buy a beer there are no probabilities involved (about whether you get beer or not), and there aren't multiple possible outcomes (where you might get no beer, a shot glass full of beer, a half a beer or a full beer based on a random drawing of some sort). You wouldn't figure out an expected value, because it's a straightforward transaction with only one possible outcome.

12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Do you ever bet on an underdog, aware the odds are long but tempted by the overwhelming payout if you happen to hit?

Draft saved Draft deleted