1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pound sand AP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Texas AP will move multiple writethrus in football, but won't do diddly-squat for any other sport until the state semifinals and finals. By that point, our teams are all out.

The UIL website keeps the brackets, but they're in PDF form and slow to update.

The DMN and Star-Telegram websites often carry most Metroplex scores for 3A though 5A, but to them, 1A and 2A schools can go ... pound sand.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

An amazing site. Does he get any cash from anywhere? Every sports desk in the state should send him a monthly check.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

MHSAA still has a ways to go to catch up to the MAIS, which not only provided scores and boxes from every game at the Overall State Tournament, but ran running play-by-play and shot charts for each team. I had a team playing in an opening-round game I couldn't get to, and I was able to take what they had, plus a call to the coach, and craft a credible 12-inch gamer out of it. That's not the only thing the MHSAA can learn from the MAIS. The private-school folks know how to put on a spread. Let's just say that if you cover the Overall, you are well-fed. :)

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Inky, I'd say you have a legit beef with AP there. I know when I worked in Arizona I felt spoiled that they'd move Friday night scores and the poll Monday night. Luxury of working in a smaller state, I guess. And I know I was a little hacked off last year when they didn't move agate on the state track meet ... maybe because it was in Fresno instead of Sacramento or Cerritos?

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Sadly, for the most part our local MAIS schools suck at the moment. They haven't made it to the Overall in about 10 years, long before they had the whole thing at Mississippi College, and even then the locals (a Class A school) played Jackson Academy or Jackson Prep and went one and done. The spreads at University Christian when the state tournament is there are usually good, though.

As for the MHSAA, they've done a good job this year. Maybe not as good as the MAIS, but light years ahead of where they were just a couple years ago. The MHSAA's decree that teams need to put scores and stats up on MaxPreps has also been a godsend. I'll give credit where it's due. The MHSAA is doing some good things for us folks in the media right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted