1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post-Star opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by GWB, Aug 22, 2012.

1. GWB

GWB New Member

I have an immediate opening for a sportswriter at The Post-Star in Glens Falls, N.Y. The person we hire will be primarily responsible for covering our AHL team, the Adirondack Phantoms. So of course I'd like to fine someone who knows something about hockey, but I'm looking for a broad range of skills beyond that, for a couple of reasons:
    1. It's a small paper, and even in-season, you'll spend some time helping with high school sports, etc., and 2. The hockey team is supposed to leave after this season. They're trying to get another team to replace it (following that issue will be a big part of the beat), but if they don't, of course I'd need this person to cover other things.
    With the season approaching, I expect to fill this position quickly. I will make interview decisions within a week and hopefully hire for the position soon after that.
    Also, in all honesty, I will be unable to fly anybody in for interviews, so I'm pretty much limited to candidates from the Northeast.
    You can apply through the company website: http://www.lee.net/careers/openings.html (if you see two openings there, please select the one that mentions the AHL)
    If you like, you can send work examples directly to me, sports editor Greg Brownell, at brownell@poststar.com

2. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Great spot, good paper, good guy to work with

3. JoshBarnett

JoshBarnett Member

This is a great place to learn and get better. You will have the freedom to grow and thrive. I am among the fortunate ones to get my start there. Hard to think of any better folks in this business than Greg Brownell.

4. Cullen9

Cullen9 Member

Sure, I'll be that guy.

Has anyone heard an update on this position?

5. RandalGraves

RandalGraves New Member

I heard they have their finalists and are going to select from there.

6. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Filled: https://twitter.com/APSE_sportmedia/status/250980856896843776

7. RandalGraves

RandalGraves New Member

Congrats to her. Seems like a great gig in a cool town.

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Congrats to the hired.

Draft saved Draft deleted