1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 4, 2007.

1. This, in response to a 'yab post on Rhoden and a black athlete, just about made my morning.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Abbott's search for white columnists who backed Jones will be as lackluster as OJ's search for the real killer.

3. boots

boots New Member

And here we go, right to lockville. Don't pass go. Don't collect $200.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Remain hopeful that he'll try to conjure up some obfuscation-laden followup.

Good luck to the Times copydesk with THAT one.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Facts? Facts? We don't need no stinkin facts. This is an opinion post.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh no...being an asshole is something that definitely comes naturally for Bonds.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

This question was asked on one of the Bonds threads and it begs asking here as well. Is it still a witch hunt if you, in fact, discover a witch?

I don't think she had that many duped, really. The media coverage of Marion changed drastically once the C.J. Hunter thing broke in 2000. Sure, there was still some fawning, but there were all sorts of allegations and suspicions expressed and stories often mentioned her association with known steroid users. Remember the howls when she and Montgomery began working with Charlie Francis, Ben Johnson's old coach? I think there were a few apologists, but most in the media viewed her skeptically after Sydney. They could only go so far because they had no concrete proof.

And, yes, as someone stated, Montgomery is her baby's father. The issue still applies, however, because Montgomery was juiced to the gills, as well.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Baby Huey Jones-Montgomery

9. IU90

IU90 Member

One thing we've learned from the PED era is that athletes make some of the most skilled liars alive. Even the most sincere-looking, self-righteous, indignant denials mean next to nothing when it comes to this issue, even when done under oath before congress.

I'm starting to have more respect (at least comparatively) for McGwire's "not here to talk bout the past" way of handling the question. As weaselly as that appeared, it at least was more honest than the way so many other athletes have handled it simply by sincerely looking you in the eye and blatantly lying their asses off.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

No! Say it isn't so! Only baseball has cheaters. Every other sport is squeaky clean.

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Good article by Jemele on Marion Jones:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/071005

It's a well-written and well-conceived piece.

Some excerpts and comments:

* Please tell me we aren't feeling relieved.

I agree with this. "Relief" isn't the word that comes to mind. More
    like "Yep," or "hopefully this will help some who have been blind about
    PED usage in all sports open their eyes."

* Now we see (again) that an athlete's word and prolonged periods of
    clean urine tests aren't worth a ruble...Jones' unraveling means, just
    because we like them doesn't mean they can be trusted (see: Armstrong, Lance).

Precisely.

* This means we shouldn't even blink when an athlete goes on a prolonged
    campaign to clear his/her name. Floyd Landis fought to clear his name in
    doping courts for more than a year. He's guilty. Jones filed a $25 million
    lawsuit against Conte for telling ESPN The Magazine she used several
    performance-enhancing drugs -- so there goes Curt Schilling's theory that
    if an athlete really didn't use steroids, he/she would sue the people who
    accused him/her of doing it.

For me, this is the best and most insightful paragraph of a good article.
    Everybody that said "Well, Barry should sue to clear his name, right?
    Right?!?", You need to read and internalize these 4 sentences. Red Light
    (and many similar thinkers) wrong again. Surprise, surprise.

* Let's hope those kids who dream of becoming professional athletes understand
    that what's done in the dark is eventually exposed underneath the harsh lights
    of a shameful news conference.

And coaches as well. Pay attention, Belicheat

* Jones' case shows us there is no perfect way to spot or catch a cheat, be it
    in federal court or the court of public opinion. All of America believes Barry
    Bonds cheated. But some people still believed in Jones. She was a golden girl.
    Bonds, by most accounts, is a golden jerk.

But by the end of this day, only one of them will be a convicted felon. And not
    the one we thought.

Tight. And some newspapers' "I-Teams" are typing what very much appear to be
    'back-end-of-the-deal' articles about Bonds' former mistress' upcoming Playboy
    spread, after chasing -- unsuccessfully -- the 'golden jerk.'
    - - -

Also, President Bush is said to be 'saddened' by the news of Jones' supposed
    steroid usage:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/237435/Bush_saddened_by_Marion_Jones_doping_reports

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Or maybe he can't sue because he would lose, just like Landis did, or Jones would have if she hadn't dropped the case.

Draft saved Draft deleted