1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post here if you don't feel that bad about your job.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheMethod, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm 85 percent happy at work. I'm 95 percent happy at home.

Life is good ... for me, at least.

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

I love my job. Sometimes, it's hard (sorry about my bummer thread, but I still have a case of the wobbles, going through the editing process), and I get tired of people (mostly my family) thinking I don't really work for a living -- my brother's always asking me when I'm going to get a real job -- but I really feel lucky to be where I'm at. I feel lucky because I got lucky, and I know it. I recognize that were it not for a couple of breaks, my life could be very different right now.

3. lono

lono Active Member

That describes me to a T.

I've had plenty of horrible jobs, but I love what I do now. The "to" and "from" part of it sucks ass, though.

Still, on balance, I'll take it.

4. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

There are plenty of things I can't stand about my job and tons of reasons why I think my paper sucks. But then I realize I would probably hate it even more just about anywhere else.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i don't love my job, but i like it.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

On days like today, I'm sitting outside writing a gamer on a gorgeous day in Charleston, I love my job.

I might feel different tomorrow when I have to drive seven hours home.

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Six months out of college, and I'm paying all my bills on time and don't need a roommate to keep up with rent. Less than half my friends who graduated with me can say that.

Of course, I'm on the news desk when I'd rather be over in sports ... but that's what Nick Saban would call "mouse manure." I love what I do, and I don't mind the baggage.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

For 30 years I've been able to frolic in the toys and games department. There have been SO many times when I've said to myself, "I can't believe they're actually paying me to do this." Not solely because of business, but I've visited 48 states and 24 countries. When people learn I've been able to spend time with some of the all-time great sports personalities, it's like I've participated in some kind fantasyland. 99.99 percent of the people I know would give anything to be in my shoes.

Is life perfect? Absolutely not. I've worked more than my share of 100-hour weeks, 15 weekends in a row, made mistakes in front of a couple of hundred thousand readers, etc., etc. Have I been more fortunate than the overwhelming number of people in the world? Probably so. I realize that. I have been blessed more than I could have asked for.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Found myself sitting alone in the stands watching a umm, rather unsuccessful women's basketball team scrimmage and I was enjoying the heck out of it. It was definitely one of those "This is a good life" moments.

10. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

There are times, like on a Friday night when you have to find a side door just to get in the gym or on a Wednesday night with NCAA Tournament implications at play, when you can't beat this life. When you walk in the office for five minutes and every news guy is asking if you're the one going to the game tonight, it's hard to resist the urge to feel just a little special.
    So yeah, I like my job. I like the fact that the boss man generally stays out of the way. I like that there's talk of adding a new position, not getting rid of one. I like that my summers are not spent covering things we would never touch August-May, but finding engaging enterprise. I like that I work in a newsroom where it's OK to curse and yell and tell someone to go fuck themselves, as long as it's all in the name of good journalism.
    Most of all, I like the fact that, as I go through life, there are people who I wouldn't want to be, rather than those I would.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I can't remember the exact quote, but in the book Fever Pitch (which was about Arsenal, not the Red Sox), Nick Hornby writes of how sports fans are the only ones about whose chosen entertainment there is ALWAYS a story in the next day's paper. Go to the theater? Sure, they'll write about opening night, but that's it. Same with the opera, the ballet, whatever. As he puts it, "Nobody else gets that. Only us."

As for me, I managed to escape one of the worst newspapers in history and get to somewhere where employees are actually respected and treated like human beings. It ain't perfect, but it's pretty damn good.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Loved my last job, really like where I am now, and am pretty genuinely excited about the possibilities for what comes next.

Draft saved Draft deleted