1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Post-Gender' Baby Names

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Aug 19, 2016.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I wanted to name my first boy "Willie Mays ___" and my wife okay'd. I was just about to do it then at the last minute thought "what if he's a concert pianist, 'now playing at Carnagie Hall Willie Mays___.'"

Boy still gives me hearburn that I backed out.

I like neutral names, girls/women named Sammy and Alex are cool.

2. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I hate my name because it sounds like it belongs to a 5 year old super girly girl. It becomes 1000 times worse when combined with my middle name. I'm all for neutral names.

I met an older woman named Sydney, which I thought was an awesome name for a woman. My mom hoped my brother would name my niece Sawyer, which was the name my father was known by. Niece only got it as a middle name.

There was a male Gayle and a male Fran at work.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

When I was a kid in the 70's, all I wanted to be was a Bobby, Robby, Ricky, Billy, Jimmy, Danny, anything but the unique name (no one else in this country has it) that I was given. Only when I hit 30 did I begin to appreciate it.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I used to work with a guy named Aubrey. I used to work with a woman named Justin. I currently work with a woman named Shawn.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My son came oh-so-close to being named Tate after Tate George made that miracle shot with less than a second on the clock to beat Clemson at the Meadowlands in the 1990 NCAAs. Luckily, it was six months before he was born, so cooler heads prevailed.

And, oh yeah, Tate was sentenced this past January to nine years in federal prison for running a ponzi scheme.

Lugnuts likes this.
  6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

And....when I worked at a one-hour photo lab (when those were a thing), a lovely young lady named Keath was a regular customer. To this day, I remember one photo of Keath mooning the camera. She was a lovely, lovely young lady.

Lugnuts and HanSenSE like this.
  7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If that were a name we were giving to a daughter, though, I would name her Samantha and call her Sammy, or Alexis or Alexandra and call her Alex.
    We don't have a daughter, and if we did I'd be lobbying for an Irish name like Bridget or Moira or Aoife.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Serves him right. #stillbitter

dixiehack likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Maybe you could afford one of our starter homes Mr. Dixiehack. May I show you the Lugoff?

doctorquant likes this.
  10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

What a racist thread.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Doc,

Since I have been to what I believe is your homeland many time, I think I may even know some of them.
    1. Guy (architect)
    2. Guy (and richest person in the county.
    3. Gal
    4. Gal
    5. Gal (and literally a full time debutante

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Yes, I guessed right. I have been to pumpkin town and sugar tit, which is a suburb of possum kingdom.

Draft saved Draft deleted