1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post-Gazette Pirates Beat

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dkphxf, Jun 4, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Bill Brink handled the road trip to New York, but Dejan Kovacevik covered last night's home gamer and notebook. Any chance they go with this situation for the rest of the season? Anybody hearing anything on the job?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Content sharing deal with the local Patch site.

The starting pitcher's mom is covering the game tonight.

3. ballwriter

ballwriter New Member

Clint Hurdle is going to have bench coach Jeff Banister call in a linescore.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

OK, that's funny.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It's the Pirates. Does anyone else care? :D

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Is Trey Beamon gonna hafta cut a bitch?

7. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Hey, don't look now, but they just took two in a row from the Phillies. I have to figure this pitching isn't going to hold up for the duration, but the starters have been surprisingly good through the first two months, particularly when you consider how atrocious they were last year. Morton and Correia have made drastic improvements over what they were doing in 2010.

As far as the beat, am I right Brink is like a year or two out of college? Don't know him and I'm in no position to judge. He's got a great chance to seize a tremendous opportunity -- the sort of thing a lot of us dream of. I hope he does well with it. But it seems like a big job for someone so inexperienced -- the Pirates' irrelevance notwithstanding.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Nah, he'll get the stat girl who only puts nicknames down to call in.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Tyler Dunne took this then backed out, thus the upheaval.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Better not cost anyone a scholarship...

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It frightens me that you know who the Pirates bench coach is.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The Pirates are in the right division to make a freak run, whenever they do become mildly competitive. The Cardinals are very much a feast-or-famine team, where injuries to Pujols or a few pitchers kills them. The Reds look on the rise, but haven't put everything together yet. Brewers are cresting down a bit. And the Cubs are arguably just as mismanaged as the Pirates, given all those resources.

Draft saved Draft deleted