1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post-Gazette furloughs, cuts back delivery area

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bagelchick, Mar 27, 2009.

1. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Didn't see a post on this.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/business/s_618062.html

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette said it told 167 managers and non-union employees they must take one week of unpaid leave in April, May or June. The newspaper said the program may be extended into the third and fourth quarters of the year.

About 30 Post-Gazette employees accepted voluntary buyouts during two rounds of buyouts offered last year as the paper sought to cut costs.

Tracey DeAngelo, marketing director, declined to comment.

Meanwhile, the Post-Gazette will discontinue its circulation of the weekday and Saturday editions in counties outside its core area of Allegheny, Beaver, Butler, Washington and Westmoreland counties, beginning in April, said Randy Waugaman, circulation director.

Circulation in Armstrong, Fayette, Greene and Indiana counties, along with the out-of-state sales, represented a small percentage of its circulation. It will continue to deliver Sunday papers to those areas, Waugaman said.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Pittsburgh live? Makes it sound like its part of the Booth/Newhouse/Advance publications shit that hit the fan earlier this week.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

This paper does have an e-edition, but it's only offered through the NIE (Newspapers in Education) program. Methinks it's time to open it up to the public. A makeover wouldn't be bad, either. Other than that, solid paper. Good luck to everyone there.

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Wow, I grew up reading the PG in a nearby out-of-state location. It helped inspire me, for better or worse, to become a sportswriter. I still was giving my parents shit for letting their subscription lapse.

Draft saved Draft deleted