1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post Gazette beat guy in hot water

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Notepad, Jul 31, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh. My. God. I remember that! I would never have come up with it without you mentioning it. But I'm pretty damn sure that was him.

Awesome.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Holy shit, I had completely forgotten that.

If you're right, wow.

Just wow.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Between this and the news that Wlat is moving back to Pittsburgh this has been an interesting day at Chez Wlatador.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Agreed.
    Where does dog fighting stack up against what some other athletes have done and (for the most part) gotten away with or been forgiven?
    Absolutely, Vick's role in this is disgusting. I believe he deserves to go to jail for a long time.
    But when you look at what some others have done and been back on the field so quickly after, this seems like relatively small potatoes.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But you can phrase that better than "better off raping a woman."

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's pretty clearly a false dichotomy, folks.

Not to mention patently offensive to a few fairly large swaths of the population like, you know, women.

Does no one take logic class anymore?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I have no idea what you're talking about.

[​IMG]

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

You're putting too much PC into it.
    I'd hope those specific words would not have come out of my mouth. Still, let's say Ronnie Mexico there is charged with raping a woman in Atlanta.
    During the initial charge, he's probably released on a recognacence bond, gets permission to leave the state for away games and might miss one or two games. While the DA/solicitor in Georgia gathers evidence and Vicks' lawyers file protests, he continues to play. Sometime, conveniently in the middle of February, the case goes to trial. Sure, he might be found guilty, but during that time in between the woman is harrassed by Vick fans while he continues to bank roll his children's children's children.
    Goodell probably never gets involved unless Vick is convicted or he says something horribly stupid during the process.
    Tell me what the reporter said is even close in the disgusting factor to that scenario.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

MU --

The culture of rape and misogny in this country is a serious problem, and one that needs to be debated on its own merits.

It has nothing to do with dogfighting.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

You are absolutely correct. But this is a thread about someone connecting the two. I was simply offering my opinion of those remarks.

11. I took that as Vick would have been better off LEGALLY had he raped a woman. I don't see how he's endorsing the rape of women.

In fact, it's the opposite. I think he was using rape as an example because it is such a horrendous crime, yet it wouldn't receive nearly the public outcry as dog fighting.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think Vick would have been better off if he kept a bunch of women locked up at his home for the sole purpose of raping them.
    Rape allegations happen a frequently in sports. Sometimes, like the Duke case, they are shown to be false so there is some skepticism. Raising and training dogs to attack other dogs over a period of months can't be confused with a "one-night-stand he said, she said." I think that is where the outrage is coming from.

Draft saved Draft deleted