1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post-Dispatch SE (big surprise, right?)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Riddick, Nov 6, 2007.

1. floridasun

floridasun Member

One school of thought is that the job here is a pretty large reconstruction project. Not that awards are everything, but a paper that size with the resources it should have and with the sports in town, not even sniffing a section top 20 award the past three years (and just a Sunday HM in '03) is not that strong. I realize cracking the top 10 in the biggest circ category isn't easy, but there's no reason they shouldn't be a top 20 when you see some of the papers that are placing.

If someone turns the job down twice when the second time they give the person more money as well as additional perks/incentives, there's more to it.

2. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

You could also look at a reconstruction project as an opportunity to make your mark after a long period of mediocrity. I wonder who the sports editor was before Larry Starks........?

3. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

What happened to the two or three internal candidates that were supposedly strong?
    Seems to me, if P-D keeps getting turned down by outsiders, maybe they should look from within.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Pipeline is gurgling, stay tuned. IF what I'm hearing turns out to be accurate, this job becomes considerably less attractive. I hope to know something soon.

5. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

We'll stay tuned, M1. It sounds ominously like staff cutbacks. (Still, my sources tell me that in any case they are determined to hire someone from the outside after considering the internal candidates earlier.)

6. Moderator1

That ain't it. Didn't they already cut?

7. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

you're right; they did cut around the summer.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Well, if the job gets filled, I would say that makes it considerably less attractive to most of us. ;D

9. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Are there any sports editor jobs open besides this one and Fort Lauderdale?

10. Moderator1

Well, Richmond! Not sure of any others.

11. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

What's the background on Richmond, if you don't mind elaborating. Did someone leave recently?

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

There were quite a few threads on it. That might be your best bet -- if you can get past that Mike Harris blowjob. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted