1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post-Dispatch buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ARD, Aug 2, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I can't stop laughing. To people honestly believe this crap?

2. boots

boots New Member

This may explain why the P-D is advertising about a sports copy desk opening.

3. Saint Lou

Saint Lou Member

So I heard the other day that the cost of the P-D is now 75 cents.

What?

Lee offers buyouts and 60 people take them. Most of those people are not going to be replaced. Then the cost of the daily paper goes up 25 cents.

What a joke.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Most Lee papers are at 75 cents now.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Maybe they only make readers over 50, with 15 years or more of service, pay that much.

6. Beats me. I just keep up with most of the major stocks. Guess it doesn't matter since Lee, like McClatchy, Gannett, etc., has tanked in the past year.

Also, the Lee paper in my state went to 75 cents.

7. boots

boots New Member

I just find the posting of the vacancy odd, especially in light of what has recently happened there.

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

We've seen that in several buyout situations, though. They buy the well-paid people out to bring in new, fresh, young blood. The young people can be paid less and eventually when they've been there forever and are being well-paid, they'll be bought out, too. It's cyclical.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted