1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possibly the most poorly edited AP story I've ever seen

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by deskslave, Apr 1, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I know it's not a sports story, but bear with me. It came from the state AP,
    but there ought to be some standard, no?

FRISCO, Colo. (AP) -- A pileup involving as many as 75 vehicles on snowy Interstate 70 shut down the state's main east-west route over Vail Pass Monday, killing at least one person and injuring several others, officials said.
    The wreck stranded travelers who scrambled to find hotel rooms in the mountain communities on either side of highway closure. **THE highway closure**
    Authorities spent the evening busing drivers caught in the pileup to nearby towns and clearing the dozens of tangle vehicles from the westbound lanes of the highway. **tangleD**
    Colorado State Patrol Trooper Gilbert Sullivan said one person was killed among the dozens of crashes.
    "We have up to 60 to 75 cars involved," Sullivan said.
    Sullivan said the accident happened during snowy weather Monday afternoon in the westbound lanes about a mile west of the summit. He said it appeared a semitrailer jackknifed and caused the original crash.
    "It sounds like that started the whole chain of events," Sullivan said.
    Kenny Griffin one of the last people to make it over Vail Pass as he headed east from a morning of snowboarding at Beaver Creek resort when he saw the crash. **This isn't even a sentence**
    "It was just a big pinball wreck," Griffin said.
    Griffin said he saw six simitrailers -- **SIMITRAILERS??** two of them jackknifed -- at the front of the wreck with at least a dozen of **DOZEN OF?** cars jammed in between. There appeared to be a second group of crashes farther behind as made his way past the line of crashes, he said, with cars upside-down and pinned under one another. **as HE made his way past**
    Richard McKerernan and his teenage spent more than four hours in a line of traffic behind the crash. **teenage...son? daughter? helper monkey?** The pair watched the gangster movie "The Untouchables" on an i-pod **ugh** before a highway patrolman helped them turn around and back to Frisco. **GO back to Frisco**
    Transportation officials reopened the eastbound lanes of the interstate by 8 p.m., but the state patrol's Master Trooper Ron Watkins said it would take hours to clear the wrecked vehicles in the westbound lanes.
    "This could be an all-nighter," Watkins said.
    Griffin, who made it back from Beaver Creek to work the front desk at the Frisco Ramada Limited, was turning away a steady stream of stranded travelers hoping for a hotel room to weather the delays.
    At least 16 people with broken bones, bruises, and scrapes were transported to Vail Valley Medical Center, about 15 miles west of the scene, said hospital spokesman Don Bishop. Except for one patient who was to undergo surgery, all were in fair condition.
    Six patients were transported to St. Anthony's Summit Medical Center near Breckenridge, about 20 miles away. Two women there were in critical condition, anther woman and a boy were in serious condition. **comma splice, anyone?** The other two patients were treated and discharged.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if it didn't come out of oklahoma, it isn't even close.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, I've never lived in Oklahoma, so my point stands. :)

4. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

that is remarkable

holy crap

i'm guessing it wasn't poorly edited

just not edited

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid retort.

and i've never lived in oklahoma, but i knew someone who did and he sent me "edited" ap copy from that fine state.

6. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Hey, check out versions of the Wrestlemania-Fireworks mishap in Orlando that moved on the wires on Monday ... the last graph was notes by the reporter that AP left on the story. LOL

If I were at work while posting this, I'd have provided it. Sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted