1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possibly The Most Important Car Since The Model-T Or Austin 7

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GB-Hack, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It didn't have much to do with the industry in 1991, either, IIRC.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

IIRC?
    Sorry, need a translation. :)

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

If I remember/recall correctly

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

In fairness, next year's outing should be in London so everyone can watch sxy say British things

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Where does the money go?

Because I lived in Dearborn for 21 years, and when they made the cars in Mexico, the money went to my hometown. That's why I buy American. Although, they do share the same suppliers, so it isn't that bad.

But if you guys are interested in electric, look at the Tesla.

6. I Digress

I Digress Guest

That's why it's not so simple....because when you buy a Honda, the people in Marysville, Ohio, surely benefit... and they spend their money in their community...how much of the corporate profit benefited Dearborn? (That's a real question).. plus, then you have all the parts places in northern Ohio and in Michigan that supply parts to whoever buys them....and all the local folks that work in dealerships, regardless of the brand.. it's very complicated.. but I think that buying an 'import' isn't equal to spending money overseas.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

A lot I gather.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

We live in a global economy. This isolationist rhetoric is obsolete.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Our wages will be in the shitter forever if there isn't a chunk of good, egotistical isolationism.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

They figure that for every job in assembly and parts manufacturing, about seven others are created in related sectors, such as the steel and plastics industries, business services and transportation.

You can't really differentiate between the US, Mexican or Canadian auto industries. It is ONE continental industry.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I see what you're saying, and trust me, I'm no economic whiz (it was one of my worst subjects in college), but I know enough to realize it's not as simple as "BUY AMERICAN!" anymore.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Ah, yes, the Tesla. $98,000, no fuel back-up, and if you thrash it around, as Top Gear did last night, an approximate range of 55 miles, very far from the 220 Tesla says it can do. Plus, recharging can take a while.

It's an impressive car, but it's in no way as transformative as the Clarity, or even, I'd argue, the Volt.

Draft saved Draft deleted