1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possible Torre successor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Oct 9, 2007.

?

If the Yankees decide not to bring Torre back, who would make the best replacement?

1. Joe Girardi

13 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. Don Mattingly

11 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. Tony La Russa

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. Mike Hargrove

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Billy Martin's corpse

14 vote(s)
    26.4%
  6. Bobby Valentine

9 vote(s)
    17.0%
  7. Trey Hillman

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Girardi might be better at getting the most out of his players, but if Steinbrenner really is the one pulling the strings and junks Torre, it's almost a lock that Mattingly takes a turn in the driver's seat.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I loved Joe as a player, but I don't know about him being the manager right now. It probably won't be long before he and Steinbrenner bump heads anyway.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bobby Valentine.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I vote for Girardi since it's the worst possible move the Yankees can make.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

After his disaster in Florida?
    He ain't getting a job in the majors for a long, long time.

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Why is that a lock? Mattingly has managed one day in his life and his demeanor is almost identical to Torre's. While the players might see that as a good thing, Steinbrenner won't. If he's serious, he's looking at a culture change, which of course could end up driving players away.

A couple names Buster Olney threw out there that you didn't mention are Trey Hillman and Bobby Valentine, both managing in Japan the past few years.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Player/manager Alex Rodriguez = double playoff awesomeness.

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

So it'd count for two outs every time he looked at strike three?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

That made me laugh very hard.

10. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Looking at that list reminds me...in how many of these four series did the younger manager win?

Bob Melvin was run out of Seattle in a hail of catcalls. He filched Brian Price, and they have seemed to do pretty well so far.

If the Yankees are smart, they'll find the toughest young manager they can find. (Assuming that they could possibly be labelled smart if they let Torre go. I do feel he's worn out.) That might be Girardi, but I don't know if he can delegate. Mattingly isn't mean enough for that job, says I.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Phil Garner.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Maybe, but it's more likely that he'd just throw up all over himself before every at-bat with runners in scoring position. And every at-bat after the 6th inning.

Draft saved Draft deleted