1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possible opening in Huntsville (Ala.)?

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Pencil Dick, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Any word on whether this on
    Any progress on this one even though it hasn't officially been posted? Say two guys turned it down, huh? What might have been their reasons? After all, the Newhouse gang pays pretty well and the staff size appears to be more than suitable.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes, Huntsville has minor league baseball, a college hockey team and a SWAC college in town, but their bread-and-butter, like every daily in the state, is Alabama and Auburn football.

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

for one of the candidates, the timing was not good because of some family issues he's dealing with.
    this is a very good gig with a good staff.

4. My friend has been contacted. Don't know any more details.

5. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

And that's not even mentioning the lawn mower racing fanatics in your county.

And ChazP, I think John has a little more insider knowledge to lazy and tired. ... and 2underpar.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the H'ville Times. Right. It's a good paper. The town is beautiful. I miss Big Spring Park, Monte Sano and the Land Trust Trails. You're an hour and a half from Nashville, an hour and a half from Chattanooga and an hour and 15 minutes from Birmingham.

The food is lacking a bit, but there are some really good restaurants there. You can also go to Decatur and get some good food (the potato salad in that town is as good as I've ever had, and the BBQ at Big Bob's is a can't miss).

Also, Slappy, it was the Alabama writer who didn't put AU No. 1.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was eons ago.. I couldnt rememebr

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I heard that happens when you're well into your 40s.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And when I was kicked in the head more than some kickers kick a football....

9. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Looks like they settled on Candidate C after being turned down twice. I'm not familiar with the lad's past work.

This is third-hand info, for what it's worth. Their newsroom got the e-mail today:

"It is my pleasure to announce the hiring of Allan Taylor from Chattanooga to replace Bruce McLellan as assistant sports editor.

His newspaper experience includes six years with the Times Free Press in Chattanooga, TN., where he was assistant sports editor and columnist. His desk duties included layout and design, including a weekend sports supplement and award winning section design."

10. FlipSide

FlipSide Member

Candidate C? This is a very good hire. Good people, too.
    Congrats, Allan.

11. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

What FS said. Holy shit. Allan is very, very good people. Almost makes me hate that I left town now.

Huntsville made a very good hire if this email is not erroneous.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

What they said. Never worked directly with Allan, but worked alongside him for several years. Great guy. Good writer. Good editor, from what I understand.

Draft saved Draft deleted