1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possible job move -- asking for advice.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doctor Jones, Jul 13, 2007.

1. chazp

chazp Active Member

What he said. Were they having money problems when they laid you off? Does this company this have money problems that aren't public? Don't do it. Stay put on this one.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

If you have any thoughts of going back, don't take ANY sort of paycut from what you're making now.

They laid you off, you improved your job standing and now they want you back.

Look at it this way. They could have kept you for less money, instead they put stress in your life. Now, it's your turn to hold them over the barrel.

Play hard ball. I would tell them $1,000 more than you are making right now or they can find someone else that isn't as qualified as you.

And even if they did offer $1,000 more, I'm not sure I'd go back to them.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

To me, it's that simple.

I wouldn't trust anything from Heartland. Click on the link Ducky provided. That company put you through hell. In Utopia, no amount of money could convince me to possibly return. In reality, it would still take a lot more than $2,000 to get me to think about it.

They put your through hell. Let them suffer the consequences.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No way I would go back. What the hell good is having control of a sinking ship?

I also would not let your friendship with the other dude factor in too much. You gotta do what's best for you. Not most fun for you.

5. Eddie_Vedder

Eddie_Vedder Member

You gotta remember.... pay isn't the only thing that determines which job is better than the other. daily vs weekly alone would tip the scales for me, forget money...

6. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I know the opportunity to essentially "run the show" may be intriguing, but here's three things that should keep you far away:

1) It's a Heartland paper, and they're laying off people/making people quit left and right.
    2) You were fired there once before; why go back and risk it again (especially with the situation there?)
    3) A move back to a weekly from a daily is, to me and entirely in my opinion, a small step down the ladder. If you want to go back to a daily down the road, even with your new position, you might not gain much more ground than the position you're at now.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's like a scene from a horror film...I want to shout at the monitor..."Don't go back! No! No! Don't you know better than to go there!"

That higher pay rate they are offering? That just makes their decision easier if they ever decide to screw you over and dump you again. It sounds like your current situation is much more stable.

8. accguy

accguy Member

To me it comes down to one simple thing:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Also, if it's all about the cash, why don't you just find a bigger daily and get more money there. There are certainly jobs for designers.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

SID - i think it's too early in his tenure to be making such a move. if a newbie tried squeezing me, i'd show them the door. DJ already agreed to his pay. make a move for pay after a year, not a month.

10. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

The sad thing is, Heartland has the money, they're just not putting money back into the paper to support it.

And I've not really entertained the thought much, but it is intriguing... But, my thoughts are to entirely stay at a daily. I was lucky enough to get a break there, considering I have no journalism degree, but have two degrees in business, and am only 24 years old, and pretty much taught my own self how to paginate on my own.

The daily I work at now is also a p.m., so it's pretty much the same shift that I would work at the weekly, if I'd go back, but I'm not.

All my friends who are not into journalism tell me to go for the job at the weekly, cause the money, and less workload. But I can't do that in my mind, cause I know, the product I'll produce will never, ever be as good to quality in pages I can produce at the daily.

My quality of work and job I currently have outweighs the money I could make at the weekly, and the hell I'd have to go through there to.

11. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Don't do it.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

To quote R.E.M., "Don't go back to Rockville and waste another year."

Draft saved Draft deleted