1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pos slobbers John Daly

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Jun 30, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

pos does what he does as well as anybody. no doubt about it. but he FAILS as a column writer, imho, because himself to throw high hards ones. EVER. you don't have to be a rip-guy all that often to be a supreme columnist; just a change of pace every now and then to surprise the reader. to not generate a response of, 'oh, another hummer by this wimp.'

his greatest use is as a takeout/profile writer. this is the editor's fault, not joe p's. you know what you're going to get with joe p. maybe the editors at 'golf digest' figured he could offer up a nice contrarian piece, apart from the standard daly rip job. i dunno.

but we need to stop categorizing him as a 'columnist.' he more often than not isn't. if you want to rip someone for this piece blame the editors for assigning it to joe p. 'cause they sure as hell knew it wouldn't be a typical voice of Everyman. Everyman is not necessarily an outta shape beer guzzling slob with no class. guys like daly are not nearly as popular as the joe p's of the world make him out to be. he's popular like a train wreck -- a tragedy you cant take your eyes off.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm just waiting for the next piece on Daly being "sober" for the umpteenth time.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You can't trust people who can't graduate from the University of Arkansas.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Daly can be so charming and open that if that's your only point of reference, of course you're going to love the guy.

Hondo, you've seen the trainwreck more than probably anybody on this board, but the last time I covered an event that Daly played (5-6 years ago) he had a bigger gallery than probably anyone other than Tiger or Phil.

You're absolutely right about the guy, but when Daly is in charmer mode, he's a tough guy not to like.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So Daly is a big hitting athlete who has terrible problems with drinking, women and money. But for some reason, many people just love him to death no matter what he does, and people cheer for him to succeed no matter how hard he falls.

I wonder if he has any kin in Commerce?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Those 5-6 years ago are a long time, considering Daly's length isn't unique anymore on Tour (he's T15 in driving distance, at 298 yards; you can find guys who regularly mash it 20 yards farther) and he doesn't have full-time status anymore. When he does play, he's far too quick to mail it in when things turn sour.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Trainwreck is a good word, and America loves a good trainwreck. And here's a guy who somehow tends to pull himself out of it from time to time. Whenever he shoots a 69 and in the top five on Thursday, everyone is interested. Then when he shoots an 82 on Friday and misses the cut, people are just as interested.

Fans love to build people up only to bring them down. Reminds me of why there's so much attention continually paid to Lindsay Lohan.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Maybe this is Poz's version of being a contrarian. That said, the tour could sure use Daly being in his right mind at least a bit more. Of course weekend golfers who bring a bar with them and make side bets while playing 18 find his outsize aura at least somewhat attractive. That said, the man has been a perennial in my dead pool

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Posnanski does get critical in his columns from time to time. His featury, isn't-this-great columns are more memorable and numerous, but off the top of my head I can think of him ripping the Royals for signing Rick Ankiel and Jason Kendall and he wrote Eric Mangini was the worst hire ever.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Daly graduated!?!

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Maybe it was Central Arkansas?

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Daly is the best argument for why golf is a game more than a sport.

Draft saved Draft deleted