1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Portland, OR restaurant suggestions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by swingline, Aug 29, 2016.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The wife and I are traveling later this month to Oregon for a friend's wedding in Salem, flying in and out of PDX. We'll be in Salem for two nights, Astoria one night and then Portland one night before our morning flight home (direct!).

I need suggestions for a place to eat on our last night in the PNW. More than a decade ago I worked in the Pearl, and the then-GF and I ate at a few places there but I can't remember them. Not looking to break the bank, but also don't want some greasy spoon. Think upper middle class or slightly higher.

What say ye, SJ?

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Was just there and ate at Jake's Famous Crawfish downtown. It's been there 100+ years. The food was damn good and not nearly as expensive as I would have anticipated.

Condolences on your two nights in Salem.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Check out the Gilt Club:

Although, Colin the chicken has probably been served and consumed by now.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  4. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Try Fishermans Porch for brunch.while waiting for table explore feminist bookstore

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Several years ago I really enjoyed a German place called Rheinlander. Good food and a fun spot.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

7. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Screen Door. Get there early to be near the front of the line when they open.

8. swingline

Screen Door menu looks like I need to hike a lot to work off any meal there.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If you have time for breakfast in the AM, there's a diner with a really quirky menu ... including a vagitarian omelette.

Home Page

Edit: It may be too greasy spoon for your tastes, but I also like kitsch.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

I really liked Por Que No on Mississippi Ave. It's in a pretty hippy part of town and the people watching from the outdoor seating is almost as good as the food.

11. swingline

Wife is looking for seafood or a place that locally sources their food. No chains.

And if you have suggestions for Salem and Astoria, send those, too. Thanks!

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Astoria doesn't have much, but if you're willing to cross the bridge into Washington there are some really great places about 15-20 miles north in Long Beach and Ocean Park. I spent a night in Astoria last month and had lunch and dinner in Long Beach.

Nanci & Jimella's Cafe & Cocktails

Jimella and Nanci used to run The Ark, a nationally renowned place in Ocean Park, which is pretty much the middle of nowhere on the Long Beach Peninsula. (My folks used to have a place there, so I spent a lot of time in Ocean Park.) I haven't eaten at their new place, but based on The Ark I have no doubt it's fabulous.

42nd Street Cafe - long beach wa peninsula - casual upscale Pacific NW

42nd St is another place with a really tremendous chef who decided to open a restaurant in a goofy little coastal town. It doesn't look like much, but it's really damn good.

Doogers Seafood | Seafood Made Right

If you just want solid, cheaper seafood Dooger's is pretty good.

Haven't been to Salem in years. Was sort of an Applebee's kind of town back then.

Draft saved Draft deleted