1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Portable DVD Players -- any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Mrs W. and I are flying to the west coast with our 14 month old daughter later this week. I thought that it might make sense to get a portable DVD player so my daughter can watch Dora and Elmo rather than annoy the other passengers too much. Is there anything which I should be looking for in portable DVD players?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They make ones especially for kids that are virtually unbreakable... I highly recommend those... Kids can put a serious beating on those things...

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I have a fairly cheap Magnavox and am happy with it.
    Splurge on headphones, though. I think that makes all the difference.

4. I'm resurrecting this topic as opposed to starting a new one. I ride the train to work every day and my fiance is going to be doing some serious flying soon and I think it may be a good investment. Anyone have one? Have any recommendations?

I'm in the "under $200 price range."

5. Philips makes a portable DVD player that has an iPod dock. You can watch videos stored on your iPod on the DVD player's larger screen.
    If you foresee doing a lot of international travel look into getting a region code free portable DVD player. You'll be able to play DVDs produced anywhere in the world.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I got a Panasonic about six weeks ago. Nine-inch screen. Paid $166 for it. There were some that were under $100 but the batteries only lasted two hours (or less). This one has a 5 1/2-hour battery. Like it a lot.

8. Do you have a make, model and where you bought it?

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

My mistake. It's a Toshiba. (The Panasonic was the camcorder I bought.) Bought it at a place called ABC Warehouse. Not sure how widespread their locations are. The guy at the store, who I know, said he has the same one.Model SD-P1900. I think the price was around $200 but I was able to talk him down since I bought some other stuff. Remember, if you buy the cheap one, you'll likely have to spring for an longer life battery that could cost $40-$50. I figured it was best just to get this model that has the battery with the longer life. I like it. It also has a car adapter and remote.

10. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I got one for my 3 year old niece at Best Buy. It was around $179 and has a 4-hour battery life. I bought piece of crap headphones that she couldn't hear on the airplane with so heed that advice about not skimping on headphones.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Got a Toshiba (sorry forgot model number) with some rubber coating; Its proven quite durable for 2.5 years now (6 and 8 yr olds.) road trips and plane trips.

Draft saved Draft deleted