1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Popular places you have no desire to visit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Aug 8, 2019.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip. I'm not really outdoorsy (bad feet, ankles, so hikes are not desirable). I almost group New Zealand and Australia and nearly the same. They probably aren't. My bad.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

We traveled to Moscow three times when we were adopting our son. They weren't tourist trips, but we toured a bit.

At one point I said to our guide something along the lines of, "People at home won't believe how beautiful Russia is." She replied, with heavy Russian accent, "This is not Russia, this is Moscow."

I never imagined I'd find myself in the middle of Red Square. Trips were interesting, but I wouldn't go back unless my son wanted to and 13 years later, he hasn't expressed an interest.

maumann likes this.
  3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Mt Rushmore tops that list for me.

maumann likes this.
  4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Go to the Black Hills in the fall, after the summer tourist rush. You'll feel differently. Beautiful place. Rushmore is pretty cool, close-up. It's an engineering marvel.

I Should Coco likes this.
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Well, I’ve never been to Spain, but i kind of like the music.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Hawaii. I’ve been to the Caribbean a dozen times. What am I missing?

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Flying to Hawaii you can watch a long movie at least. I doubt they'll be showing Gone With The Wind, but one of the current blockbusters won't be interrupted. Flying to the Caribbean is like flying to Denver.

8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Las Vegas and New Orleans

heyabbott likes this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Roosters and peacocks.

/Maui.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Been to Vegas any number of times for fights. Everyone should see it once. I'd never live in New Orleans (humidity is not my friend) but I enjoy visiting because I really like to eat.

Tweener and lakefront like this.
  11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

We did a couple of the Orlando parks with the kids three years ago, over spring break. The trip was much better than I expected, mainly because we went with another family, so when the parents got tired of their kids, there were other grown-ups to co-parent for a while.

That being said, we've told the kids that if they ever go back, it'll be on a school band trip or something. The wife and I agree that we will not do that trip again.

12. drexler

drexler New Member

One of the things that I've been interested in is how so many of the places in Western Europe that are known as tourist hotspots have rebelled against tourists. Barcelona, Venice, places in northwest France ... none of them want the visitors, and how the locals and governments deal with it has actually been rather fascinating.

That being said, I'll go anywhere internationally, but places like Dallas (never been), Chicago (been once, that was enough) and St. Louis are among the major U.S. cities that I'll gladly pass on.

Draft saved Draft deleted