1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Popular band ... awful song

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Claws for Concern, May 14, 2007.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

"somebody's baby" -- jackson browne.

he wrote it for his buddy cameron crowe's movie/board fave, "fast times at ridgemont high." he later noted it became his biggest single even though he'd never written about anything so insignificant and mundane in his life. :eek: :eek: :eek:

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

In the great Rolling Stone cover story on the beginnng of the River tour, Springsteen said "Hungry Heart" was a song he tried to write showing the influence the Beach Boys had on him. One thing about "Hungry Heart": Bruce's voice has never sounded that way before or since.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Well...

The dream is still alive
    someday it will come true
    and this country
    it belongs to folks like me and you
    so let the voice of freedom
    sing out through this land
    this is our country!

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

No way, I love this song. And it's better then the crap on their last two albums.

I woud say Miss You by the Stones, it's disco for Christ sake. Death before Disco.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I never got the whole "Miss You" is disco thing" in 1978, still don't get it now. It's still a pretty good song, and while it doesn't sound like anything else on Some Girls, it's not exactly Donna Summer or "The Hustle".

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Agreed.

7. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Oasis -- Put Yer Money Where Yer Mouth Is

Easily their worst song, taken from 2000's Standing on the Shoulder of Giants.

Everything else they've ever done is Godlike.

(ducks)

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Regarding his voice -- I don't remember where I read it, but somewhere I read that on that one track, they sped up the vocal track to make it sound that way.

Regarding the Rolling Stone article, the part of the article that you're referring to says "It was a song Springsteen originally didn't even want to have on the album until Jon Landau (now his manager) insisted. Springsteen describes the song as an evocation of what the Beach Boys and Frankie Lymon used to do for him"
    (I've got the book Bruce: The Rolling Stone Files,which includes every story RS ran on Bruce, including the random notes, from 1973-the book's publication in 1996)

That paragraph is included in a portion of the story where they're in a record store and Bruce is picking up collections by the Drifters and Gene Pitney. The writer says the cassette he found in Bruce's portable player at the time was Toots and the Maytals' Funky Kingston

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My man E Street can't get one by you. That is the article, which also talks about Springsteen's show in Philly the night after John Lennon was murdered.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Funky Kingston is a great song.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Nice thread idea.

Bruce: Lyrically, "I'm on fire" is a joke. But damn it sounds good. How about "Murder Incorporated"?

Led Zeppelin: Hat's Off to Roy Harper

Metallica: Escape/Bad Seed/Carpe Diem Baby . . OK, half of Load and Re-Load.

Black Sabbath: Am I Going Insane? (Radio)

U2: All of Zooropa. Mysterious Ways too. "That's all right, she moves in Mysterious Ways. Hey, that stands up next to anything we've done before!"

The Police: Don't Stand So Close to Me '86

Rush: Chemistry. Ugh. A total bore. Most of Hold Your Fire too.

Beatles: So great usually, but plunged the depths of suckitude at times. Ahem . . . . Mother Nature's Son (a sad and vain attempt to recapture Blackbird), Maxwell's Silver Hammer (a sign of things to come from Paul), Within You, Without You; The Inner Light, Revolution 9 (is it a song?), You Know My Name (Look Up The Number).

Rolling Stones: Anything they've done in the last 24 years.

Pink Floyd: Everything Post-Wall.

Aerosmith: Everything they've done since Pump.

Coldplay: everything they've done.

12. chazp

chazp Active Member

Nonsense sells. But actually some of Kiedis lyrics are pretty interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted