1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Popping my football stat-keeping cherry tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jay Sherman, Aug 28, 2008.

1. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

We do full boxes. If you get one carry for 0 zero yards, your name's in there.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yep. All the papers I've written for have done the same.

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

This was adapted from a hand-drawn sheet that a colleague had given me, that I found to be the best stat sheet I'd ever used. I used it when I did print, and currently use it while doing broadcast (I keep my own stats while doing pxp, and it's probably the best broadcast sheet I've ever seen).

The initial sheet was designed for legal-sized paper (if you can handle 8.5x14 paper, try http://www.indianassa.org/files/FBstatslegal.pdf). Because I write excessively small, I can handle the passing box, but it does shrink quite a bit on letter-sized paper.

Part of my off-season work will be to modify the sheet a bit to try to make the passing box a bit more user-friendly.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

That was your creation, crimson? Despite my minor whine, I do like the setup. Many thanks.

And yeah, I went back and printed out the legal-sized one today. I'm thinking I might be able to read my scribbling a little better on that one ...

Again, thanks for sharing.

5. Scouter

Scouter Member

Jay, care to share how much blood was shed last night?

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Can't really take the credit, which goes to an ex-colleague.

He gave me a stack of hand-drawn sheets that were identical to that one. After a few years, they'd been copied and re-copied so many times, they were almost illegible, so I sat down one afternoon in Quark and basically took the same sheet, made a clean version of it and saved it as a PDF.

To really work, the legal-sized sheet is the best way to go. I made a letter-sized version because my crappy home printer doesn't handle legal-sized paper and I can write small enough to make it work.

7. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Friday night was nuts. A 7:30 game 45 minutes away, working from the press box where I could hardly see the numbers on jerseys. I got my stats, got my story under the gun (we file at 11:45, sent the file at 11:44) and my face was beet-red because of all of the pressure. Compiling the box was nuts but I had it the worst because I was driving from so far away (other two writers were in town).

I did PBP and compiled the first-half stats at halftime. Got passed by in the second half and compiled the second half stats at the office.

Today I covered a game at a military institute. The team had 17 kids, 8 rows of bleachers, every 10 yards marked on the field, and six cheerleaders ranging from age 5 to age 11. It was creepy, but since it was a day game, I got in the groove a lot easier with the PBP. Did all the stats at the office when I got back, but the story itself was 100 times better. Gettin' ready to do it again next Friday, though the game is in town for me, so the pressure should be a bit lower.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

glad you got the day game on, no matter how vampire-like it was. that will help.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

We've started running boxes online and in Sunday's paper. Saves us a ton of time on deadline Friday night.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

well look who's no longer a freakin' newb.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Damn. Just noticed that. Wonder what I wasted No. 500 on. Prolly a reponse to your dumb ass.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

well, since we both regret it, go fetch me a beer for old times ... bitch.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted