1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pop Culture Blind Spots

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Feb 8, 2013.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You have no appreciation for music then.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

as someone who prides himself in high-brow television viewing, i'm ashamed to admit 'i've yet to see a single episode of two shows i'm sure are in my wheelhouse: 'the wire' and 'breaking bad.' i'm hellbent on correcting this oversight by taking advantage of netflix, thanks to the wondrous dvr-type gizmo i havent hooked up yet....

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I miss a ton of "Harry Potter" references. It's willful at this point. I despise the Cult of Harry Potter, which is largely a product of the fetishization of childhood by adults.

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

No Potter, LOTR, American Idol, Survivor, Twilight.

Pretty much any sitcom that's come out in the last seven years or so I have never seen.

5. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Have never seen:

A "Harry Potter" movie
    More than 3 minutes of any episode of "How I Met Your Mother," "Big Bang Theory" or "Two and a Half Men"
    A entire episode of any of the "Law & Order" franchise.
    One single minute of "The Wire," which many of my friends swear was the best TV show in history.
    Any of the "Real Housewives" shows - yet I always enjoy "Watch What Happens Live" with Andy Cohen whenever it's on.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think a list of things not in my pop culture blind spot would be much shorter than what's in it. But Harry Potter, Twilight, anything zombie-related, anything airing on MTV or Bravo (other than Top Chef), anything airing on Top 40 radio, American Idol and the NBA are at the top of my list.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So you didn't get Lindsay Lohan as Emma Watson as Hermione Granger on Saturday Night Live?

8. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

So much this. So tired of zombies.

9. Dick Whitman

I'm aware of one Harry Potter character: Harry Potter.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's impressive.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Nothing wrong with being aware of lots of things -- good, bad or otherwise. Like what you like. Dislike what you dislike. Don't be purposefully ignorant because you think it makes you special. It doesn't.

12. Dick Whitman

I don't think it does.

Draft saved Draft deleted