1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pop Culture Blind Spots

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Feb 8, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Had a conversation the other day with a guy who told me he'd never seen a James Bond movie. Found that hard to believe, even by accident you are bound to have seen a Bond movie.

Though I guess my blind spot is never having read or seen a Harry Potter story.

What's yours?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

* Never seen a Bond movie, either. But I plan to.

* Never read a Harry Potter book, either. And I certainly have no plans to. Ever.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

No Harry Potter books or movies.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You guys must not have had children in the early 2000s. Anyway, my bet is that most pop culture blind spots are gender-related, the way my wife has never seen Caddyshack or my complete ignorance of the Twilight saga in print and movies.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Only 1 Potter flick.
    No Twilight flicks.
    No Survivor or American Idol episodes.

Big Bang Theory was going to be on that list but I watched one episode (hated it) then watched another (didn't understand it) then watched another (enjoyed a chuckle or two) then watched another (and laughed) and now I think I like the show.

6. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

never seen Titanic or Avatar or seen an episode of american idol...

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No...
    --Lost
    --Mad Men
    --The Wire
    --30 Rock
    --Mission: Impossible, Tom Cruise version
    --Dark Knight franchise or any other recent superheroes franchise

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Never seen Mad Men, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, American Idol, The Wire, 30 Rock, Big Bang Theory or any of the superhero, Harry Potter, Star Wars or Twilight movies.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

It's quite possible I have seen fewer than 100 movies in my lifetime, counting movies I've watched with my children. I'm 44.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I haven't watched five minutes of reality TV in all my life, though I consider that a character strength and not a pop culture blind spot.

I also have very little appreciation for music other than what's on the radio. I was a college junior when Nirvana released Nevermind. I bought it -- six years later.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No...
    --Sopranos.
    --Survivor after the first season
    --Harry Potter books
    --Weeds

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I have many, many pop culture blind spots.

Never seen a Bond movie. Haven't seen the Super Bowl since I was forced to when it was in Detroit (was working). Couldn't pick Lady Gaga out of a lineup. Ditto for any reality show *anything*. When I pass through grocery store checkouts and see the tabloid covers, I rarely have heard of anyone.

Right now, I do have a TV in my possession, but I am not kidding when I say I do not watch anything. I'm the one who begs for captions on the photo posts -- I do not know who the people are.

I left the country originally in 2007 and I swear part of me never came back. I just don't care to know who the Kashawhomevers are.

I could fill many threads with my pop culture illiteracy.

Draft saved Draft deleted