1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poor Mama Duggar is feeling overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Aug 11, 2015.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I think Jared from Subway's case is worse -- much worse, for what I think should be some pretty obvious reasons. I have plenty to say about it, but I won't, given that I believe the lengthy, open Duggar discussion(s) were pretty damn good and yet you all seemed to take away nothing from all the thought, perspective and explanation I attempted to put into it. There are just things you don't get, I guess.

And, just for the record, I never said Josh Duggar was misunderstood. But then, I also never said that what he did (then, or more recently) was OK, fine and not wrong, either.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Although Duggar did that, too.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Just because somebody disagrees with you does not mean they don't understand you, Write. We understand you breathless defense of the Duggar family just fine. We just see the massive flaws in those defenses. Maybe you don't see them, or maybe you hope we won't notice.

The bottom line is you are defending an admitted child molester who abused his sisters as well as at least one girl outside of his family, attacked people for failing to live up to values that he has not come close to managing himself and continued to lie and hurt others by cheating on his wife. And you have defended his parents even though they failed to deal with his crimes when he first admitted them and they covered them up later.

The basis of your defense? The Duggars are basically good people who are just misunderstood. The media is to blame for everything. Josh Duggar cheating on his wife isn't so bad because so many other men do it. You may not like having your arguments boiled down in such a manner, but that is what you have been saying.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

YOU wrote THIS. That is terrific.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. outofplace

That tactic is used all the time. Sometimes with justification. Sometimes without. Write was using it without justification. Now, would you like to contribute to the discussion or are you just jumping in to take potshots at me?

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If the Duggars had just followed the sj.com manual of parenting -- put Josh out on the streets at the age of 14 -- they'd be a lot happier now.

8. outofplace

Gotta love how the Duggar supporters rely so heavily on straw men. Nobody said that he should have been put out on the street. There is a hell of a lot of territory between doing that and doing nothing, which was pretty much their initial response to his admission.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Did someone say straw man?

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Then the point of your snark was?

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Yes. This guy did:

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Some woman named Jessica Krammes Kirkland now owns the internet after winning it on Facebook.

Draft saved Draft deleted