1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poor Barry can't find a job

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, May 7, 2008.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

He fucked with the Feds. Plain and simple.
    He signs. A federal prosecutor or IRS agent finds one more discrepency or invalidation of income and will run his ass into court faster than he takes first base on four balls. And, just for shits and giggles.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I agree with that. Thing is, someone in the union ought to be telling Bonds, "See, this is what happens for having that bad attitude all these years. Drop it and retire, already."

It's like when Babe Ruth wanted to be a manager after his playing days. As the story goes (fictional or non-fictional), people considered his desire to manage funny, because the Babe couldn't manage himself. He also wasn't willing to manage in the minors to rehab his image.

Fact is, his off-field reputation as a player contributed to him never receiving a managerial job. Three of the other four original HOF inductees: Christy Mathewson, Ty Cobb and Walter Johnson, all managed at some time. I believe Honus Wagner was just content to be a coach.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone in the union is of the belief that Barry should be prevented from working because some people don't like his personality.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

How the fuck does Bonds help the Pirates? A slow-ass has-been who can't play the field anymore and doesn't hit at any more than an average clip? A well-documented team cancer? A guy whose very presence, whether you agree with the public image or not, brings a negative air to your organization? Are some of you serious?

So what if he brings $5 million in notoriety. Any team that pulls a stunt solely for notoriety is clownish. Worked well for the Boston Braves back in the day with Babe Ruth, and though it hurts me so to write it, the Brewers with Hank Aaron in the 70s.

Last I checked, notoriety doesn't hit or field and it sure as hell isn't justification for a contract or a freaking collusion suit.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It'll never happen, but Bonds and the Pirates deserve each other now more than ever.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow, TSP, you were actually serious? People would show up to boo Bonds for a little while, but that's about it. He certainly wouldn't be worth a $5 million investment by the Pirates. They already pissed enough money away this season on Matt Morris. You really think they would dump $5 million more down that sinkhole? I'm not sure if even the Pirates are that stupid.

First base? Let's forget for a moment that he has never played there and probably wouldn't agree to it. The Pirates already have a sizeable (though flawed) investment in Adam LaRoche. They need him to play and hopefully rebuild some trade value. If that wasn't a concern, Steven Pearce would have been the opening-day first baseman.

The outfield would make even less sense, for similar reasons. Jason Bay needs to play. So does Xavier Nady, if for no other reason than so the Pirates can try to trade him for something of value later. The outfield is actually a relative strong point at the major-league level as well as lower in the organization.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm sure he can play 1B just fine. Look at some of the donkeys out there right now.

As for being an average hitter? His .276/.480/.565 line from last year disagrees with you.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They've already got their mouths attached almost as firmly to Sheffield's nutsack as Leyland's. To read half those guys, Garry Sheffield is Chuck Norris -- his tears cure cancer.

Draft saved Draft deleted