1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poor as a kid?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

With the final link of my family passing (my great Uncle Mario at age 87), it got me to thinking about the days my mom was raising four kids on her own (dad wasn't making his alimony or child-support payments) and I'm just astonished at how she did it.

For example, I can clearly remember eating -- believe it or not -- ketchup soup, etc.

I also recall how for a few years, our Christmas presents to each other were items we made ourselves.

Through it all, though, I wouldn't trade a minute of those times for all the money in the world.

RIP, Mom... RIP, Uncle Mario.

It's kind of dusty in here...

2. Spartakate

Spartakate New Member

I definitely remember eating government commodities as a child. Mom would make it this big trip and get my sis and I all excited so we'd thank the people who handed it out (and who can't smile at a happy, curly-haired, blond, five-year-old girl?). Powdered milk, American cheese, flour and a few other things if I recall correctly. It must have taken a lot to swallow her pride. I'm fairly certain that mom didn't eat some days. I know I never went hungry or worried about it. But thinking back I'm pretty sure mom did every day.

I'm sorry for your loss.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I am sorry for your loss.

Your mom sounds like a very fine, strong women. I hope you and your siblings honor her commitment and strength in your daily lives.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

My parents -- I was lucky -- were uneducated. I should add, in a formal setting.
    My father worked a menial factory job for 33 years. My mom cleaned homes.
    There were a lot of Top Ramen and tomato soup nights.
    I got through college on a baseball /academic scholarship. My brother was a National Merit Scholar and a Rhodes finalist.
    My parents didn't miss one of my games until college. I miss them.

Be good. Be strong, Colton.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Condolences, Colton.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

After my parents divorced, my mother raised a young boy on a grocery store cashier's pay. After she began dating my stepfather a few years later, I vividly remember having to run to the convenience store a few blocks away to get a jar of mayonaisse with food stamps -- having no idea what they were -- so mom could finish preparing the meal.

I know that was a couple of tough years for a 26-year-old woman.

Hang in there, Colton.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I can remember our couch being repo'd.

8. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

My mom put me through an out-of-state school and is in the process of paying for my brother's education at an expensive private school. She works two jobs while my dad, who has been unemployed for seven years and thinks he's above the working world, sits on his ass and bitches about not having money.

Every day I wake up and try not to let my mom down. You have no idea how much guilt I had for going out-of-state, yet my mom promised to get me through, which she did.

I should probably call her...

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

DD: I agree... make those calls, while you can, trust me.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

When I was a toddler, there was a time when we lived in a trailer and my mom kept me fed on cream gravy when there wasn't anything left in the cupboard. Our furniture was repossessed once. Fortunately, by the time I got old enough to remember things, we had clawed our way back into the middle class.

11. rallen13

rallen13 Member

No one can ever know what poverty is like until they have lived it. I'll light a candle and say a Hail Mary for your Uncle Mario, Colton. As so passes a real Man.

12. digger

digger New Member

We were on food stamps when I was a kid, we had to move several times because we couldn't pay the rent. One school I went to was in an ultra rich town, I think we were the only kids in the school who got free lunches. (that started while I was in like 7th or 8th grade).

Somehow, my mother always made sure we got fed (and the food stamps helped a lot). I had good friends when I was growing up, so did my brothers and sister, it really didn't seem that bad. My mother always treated me and them like she knew we weren't so bad off, and she knew we could do better in our lives.

I went to college thanks to financial aid.

That's why I'll never accept the right's complaints about "big government''. I never would have been able to get where I have (not like I'm rich, but I'm comfortable) without government help.

Anyway, my condolences, Colton.

Draft saved Draft deleted