1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Which athlete wasted the most talent?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Dec 29, 2006.

?

Which stellar athlete wasted the most talent due to drugs, alcohol and/or thuggery?

1. Mike Tyson

15 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. Darryl Strawberry

9 vote(s)
    10.7%
  3. Doc Gooden

28 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. The 1986 NBA Draft drug babies (Bias, Bedford, Tarpley, Washburn, etc.)

22 vote(s)
    26.2%
  5. George Rogers, the Heisman winner

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. Steve Howe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

9 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Given Mike Tyson's <a href="http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/35713/">arrest today</a> on drug charges and suspicion of DUI, I thought the poll was timely.

I know I am missing a bunch of other candidates, and names will be added as warranted.

2. Derrick Coleman.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Coleman was just a douchebag, from his time with the Nets on. Don't know if you can say any of the above really derailed his career.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Glenn Robinson.

5. That's true. It was more apathy in Coleman's case. I still contend he could have been an all-time great had he given a shit.

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I gotta give it to Gooden

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Rae Carruth

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

There was a SportsCentury on Strawberry a few weeks back. It's so easy to forget just how talented he was in high school and in his early years.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Chuck, Gooden lived up to a lot of his talent, got lost in the mix, and returned to throw a no-no for the Yanks. He may not have lived up to his full potential, but he had some great years.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

After the drug suspensions, he had mediocre years at best and tossed that no-hitter. Wasn't he left off the playoff roster that year?

11. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

While it may be contrarian... Barry Bonds. He may break the home run record, but how sad that his legacy or lack thereof, will not be based on his athletic endeavors.

12. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

He may not have wasted the most talent, but Maurice Clarett wasted a lot of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted