1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: What will be the next big newspaper to fold?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 28, 2009.

?

What will be the next big newspaper to fold?

1. SF Chronicle

16 vote(s)
    13.1%
  2. Tampa Tribune

16 vote(s)
    13.1%
  3. Seattle PI

65 vote(s)
    53.3%
  4. Miami Herald

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. Either Detroit paper

18 vote(s)
    14.8%
  6. Other

5 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think most people here think the Rocky Mountain News folding is just the beginning.

Which paper is next?

2. Mizzougrad96

Re: What will be the next big newspaper to fold?

For some reason, I thought the PI had already announced it was closing, but I wasn't sure, so I put it on the list.

From what I hear, Tampa won't make it to June 1.

3. Re: What will be the next big newspaper to fold?

Minneapolis Star Tribune or the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

Perhaps the two merge.

Side rant: The Star Tribune, despite its financial turmoil, has at least two of its employees covering spring training in Florida, a columnist and a beat guy (might be more, such as a photog, multimedia guy/gal, etc., but I'm not positive). And you know what? I'm considering subscribing to the Star Tribune. Just excellent coverage of not only the Twins, but the whole spring training scene. Of course, it's all free on the Web site, but I'm a little old-school ... much prefer the printed product.

But what a brilliant idea, this investing in the product!

4. Why would you start this thread? Seriously?

5. Mizzougrad96

You think this is something people aren't talking about?

6. bdangelo

bdangelo Member

Reminds me of the death pool, you know, pick the next celebrity to die. Ghoulish, but definitely a conversation piece. Reformed Hack knows what I mean.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The thread didn't bother me when I saw the subject line. The poll aspect of it did. I can't say exactly why, although I think bdangelo is in the ballpark.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I don't see any difference in having a poll, where people will give their opinions, and people giving their opinions in sentence form. I have no problem with it. That said, I could see why some would. Very sensitive topic, but also one that a lot of people are talking about.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Yeah, like I said, I am not sure I know why it made a difference for me. I can't even remember seeing the word "Poll" in the subject line when I first saw it. I was reading on my BlackBerry without my contacts in, so I probably just missed it. But yes, we're all thinking about it and talking about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I dare you to drive without contacts. I bet if you drive long enough, you'll hit Louisiana. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Johnny Dangerously

I'm taking the high-speed rail.

12. Mizzougrad96

Obviously it's a sensitive topic.

Every paper I've listed has been addressed on countless other threads. Obviously, I hope none of them fold.

Draft saved Draft deleted