1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: We'd rather watch regular-season NFL than playoff baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Sep 25, 2009.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Regular-season NFL than playoff baseball? No fucking way. Once the first of October hits I check out on football for the most part (except to maintain my fantasy teams, and yes I do belong to two leagues, plus a confidence pool and survivor pool).

Come back to this question in 2011 if there is an NFL lockout and baseball is the only sport to watch in the fall (besides the colleges).

2. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Not all gambling on football is people dropping $100 online. There are office pools, suicide leagues, etc. It's the same reason the NCAA Tournament has grown exponentially in popularity in the last decade. Everyone has a rooting interest in the games, however small that interest might be. Also, the NFL is once a week, making it much easier for casual fans to follow.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There's also the little fact that, unless you have a history with it, baseball is a crappy sport based around esoteric skills with luck being way too large of a factor on a day-to-day basis.

Watching a baseball season, understanding it in the context of the history of the game and the teams involved, is awesome. An individual baseball game kind of sucks.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Football > Baseball, however, I do enjoy playoff baseball. You rarely have to choose, though, with MLB playoffs during the week and football on the weekend.

MLB Playoffs are often riveting, but I'll still take any NFL game if I had to choose.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Baseball has 10 times the supply of product (total games) as football so, sure, it's probable that fans of both sports may have a higher demand for individual football games given the choice. There are fewer of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted