1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll on Americans' favorite sports/What is sj.com's favorite sport?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jan 15, 2007.

?

What is your favorite sport?

1. Hockey

15 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Pro football

26 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. College football

12 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. College basketball

7 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. Pro basketball

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. Baseball

29 vote(s)
    26.9%
  7. Auto racing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Golf

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Tennis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Soccer

8 vote(s)
    7.4%
  11. Track and field

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  12. Boxing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Bowling

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  14. Other

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  15. Cricket

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  16. Curling

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

1. Baseball (for the storytelling, if nothing else; I've always enjoyed sitting in the bleachers and listening to the radio broadcast)

2. Football (college by a bit over the pros, but having grown up and spent most of my career in Texas means high school is just as important; I attended roughly 30 games prep, college and pro this fall)

3. Golf (almost as good as baseball for storytelling; odd how I enjoy covering it more than playing; someday I hope to attend a major)

Most of the rest, I only pay attention to as it pertains to my job. Of the choices on the poll, hockey and cricket are the only sports I've never staffed.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The TV ratings and this poll show we're out of touch with our readers as far as hockey interest. Having said that:

1. Hockey,
    2. College football (until bowl season, then I lose a lot of interest).
    3. NFL.
    4. Baseball.
    5. College basketball (but couldn't care less until tournament time).
    6. Wimbledon.
    7. Tie among almost all the others.
    999. Poker.
    1,000. NBA.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

1. Competitive cheerleading

2. Horse jumpin'

3. Karatie tournaments (just the national tournaments)

4. Band competitions

5. America's Cup

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

In today's performance, the role of the non-sequiter poster will be played by Buck's understudy, expendable.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's the SportsJournalists.com Canuck factor.

Interesting column by Dave Feschuk in today's Star. He interviewed Mark Cuban who was in town Sunday to see the Mavericks.

Cuban says that if you took the Hollywood model, where screens in both Canada and the U.S. are counted for opening weekends and applied it to sports, the NHL has a much bigger audience than the NBA.

http://www.thestar.com/columnists/article/171418

The naysayers will chime in, "Well, TV doesn't work that way." And TV, to be sure, is a changing business, too. Challenging the conventional wisdom is Cuban's specialty. And in the delicate game of creating perceptions of value, Cuban – who sold Broadcast.com for about $5 billion – has some experience.

"The perception among regular sports fans is going to be, `Wow. I didn't realize hockey was that big.' Nobody's going to do the division and say, `Well, that's in Canada so that doesn't count.' It's just like a box office. They don't say, `Well, it was stronger in Canada.' We've had movies stronger in Canada per screen than they were in the U.S. No one cares. It's just total box office. Advertisers don't care. You guys drink beer. We drink beer. You guys play video games. We play video games. You guys wear stupid sneakers and pay too much money for 'em. We do the same."

OK, everybody pile on. :)

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Does this mean I should add curling to the list?

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

As I've said before, you gotta love a sport where the WINNER buys the beer.

[​IMG]

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'll do my best to be a worthy fill-in. ;)

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Soccer goes at the top. MLS, SPL and the international game is where I follow the most.

After this, I would put the pro sports first with MLB then NFL then a little drop-off to NBA and NHL and another drop-off to college sports.

I will watch just about any athletic event and give it a chance. I would only place auto racing in the bottom as a sport that just doesn't interest me. I don't quite get the appeal but that is just me.

10. casty33

casty33 Active Member

What was it Babe Ruth said when they gave him a day at Yankee Stadium when he was on his last legs ... The only game I think in the world ... baseball.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

1. College basketball
    2. Golf
    3. College football
    4. NFL
    5. Baseball
    6. NHL
    7. NBA
    8. Tennis
    9. Soccer
    10. Poker (I know it's not a sport, but I enjoy watching the pros play)

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

You can guys seriously sit through a whole game of baseball?

Draft saved Draft deleted