1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: NIT men or NCAA women?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Mar 21, 2007.

?

All things being equal, which is more important from a coverage standpoint?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2007.
  1. Men's team in NIT semifinals

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  2. Women's team in NCAA Sweet 16

28 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. Split the difference

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. i would have said the women's NCAA until I saw the last few minutes of the Maryland-Mississippi women's tournament game.

there couldn't have been more than 11 people in the Hartford Civic Center

I'm going NIT

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Seriously though, if this was a scientific experiment and you came up with that answer, wouldn't you begin to question the underpinnings of your experiment? Like maybe the beaker was contaminated before you started?

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Don't you cover the NIT over the NCAA women, the same that you cover high school football over high school soccer? Because football draws more and more people care?

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

They partially swarmed the court at Air Force tonight after an NIT quarterfinal win.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I saw that. Clemson fully stormed the court, it was kind of embarrassing.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'd say NIT, because face it -- political correctness aside -- more readers care about men;'s basketball than women's.

But apathy reigns at both levels.

7. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I know that "No.66" claim has become vogue, but it's cliche, and really, wrong.
    Are you saying the NIT champ couldn't beat a team from the SWAC? MEAC? Southland, So-Con, Mid-Continent or any of the other low-mid leagues (with the obvious exception of the Big South, this year) that get automatic bids?
    When you look at it, the NIT champ is, at absolute worst, the 48 to 50th best team in the nation.

8. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Apathy definitely reigns at both levels. I'm covering an NIT Final Four team, and the school had to pretty much paper the town with tickets to get a capacity (they called it a sellout, I'm sure not) crowd tonight.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Pat Summitt called. She'd like to discuss your ignorance about women's ball with you.

10. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Sure No.1 is better than No.50. That's fair. Just as long as you admit the NIT champ is better than No.66, I'm fine..

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I try to fight myself on this now and then -- I guess for the sake of being PC -- but I can't make a good case for the women. Even if they glare at me as I walk away from the post (hi, sc).

Fifteen years ago, you point out that the women's game just doesn't grab the public's imagination, and the answer from the female masses is, "People who have given the game a chance appreciate it."

There's been enough time. People prefer watching the game being played faster, and above the rim. A hard fact.

Another question I'd be interested to hear the answer to -- who out there runs women's top-25 roundups in addition to the men? We do, and I have increasing doubts about it being a good use of our space.

12. We do. Of course, we staff one of the few storied women's teams, so people around here actually like women's basketball.

Draft saved Draft deleted