1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll for SEs and assistant SEs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by printdust, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ROTFLMAO - damn, you are the jeter of clutch.

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

A good SE puts his staff in the best position to do quality work. If he has a staff of talented writers, let them go to town and you take up the slack on desk work. If you have a few talented designers making eye-popping pages, maybe you go cover a game once in a while.

Of course, this is on small staffs (five or less). I don't understand the SE who wants to take the best assignment and never lets his reporters mature and grow.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

If this was meant for me, let me just clarify that in a past SE spot, I'd find something and either write about it for my column or I'd do an interesting feature on occasion, not all the time. There were plenty of good stories that were evenly spread out amongst the writers.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Another thing is, a good SE listens. Too many times an SE becomes drunk with power. Management is a position where you need to not only need to bring out the best in your employees professionally, but you're also a counselor, a boss, and sometimes a friend. That's a great SE, though.

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Was so not meant for you, or anyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted