1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll for Men Only Please: Oprah

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Dec 11, 2007.

?

Which of the following best describes your feelings about Oprah?

1. I feel about Oprah much the way Ted Kaczynski felt about modern technology.

7 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. I rarely use the word 'hatred' about people I don't know, but in her case I'll make an exception.

6 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Find her annoying as hell.

20 vote(s)
    14.2%
  4. She doesn't bother me, but I wish she'd shut her fucking trap.

17 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. I don't give a shit about Oprah.

26 vote(s)
    18.4%
  6. Ambivalent.

15 vote(s)
    10.6%
  7. Her show's not my thing, but she's done a lot of good.

39 vote(s)
    27.7%
  8. Like her.

8 vote(s)
    5.7%
  9. I rarely use the word 'love' about people I don't know, but her in case, I'll make an exception.

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  10. I feel about her much the way Gosling felt about McAdams in [i]The Notebook.[/i]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Gotta give her props for what she's done, though.

*Mitch Albom's famous?*

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That is, until it gives you the runs

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Some guys will say anything to try to see Lugs' tits curry favor with Lugs.

And what's the difference between "ambivalent" and "don't give a shit"?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Only Luggie can inspire me to cast a vote in a poll!

As for Oprah... I'd smite her like a stray gray hair, given the chance. :)

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yea, not an official poll about any chick w/out this option.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

When this topic has come up before, I have always had something to say about her being annoying beyond tolerance. This time, I have written down my responses and saved them in a word processing program. Here goes.

Why Oprah is a fraud.

1. Self-righteous beyond the point where I can stand her. When Jerry Springer was threatening her lead in the ratings, Oprah huffed and puffed and said she would never, never do that sort of show. Yet when she was challenging Phil Donohue she pushed the envelope.

2. Poor, poor Oprah, victim of an author who made things up. Oprah was so upset that somebody would do this to her, Oprah, the saintly queen. Well, duh, that is why you have a staff which should be checking this thing out.

3. The show is edited so that if Oprah gets a name wrong, it is corrected later. No problem with that, but don’t try to tell me she is somebody who always gets things right.

4. I always get the feeling that her audience would jump off a tall bridge if Oprah told them to do things.

5. The incident at the Paris shop where Oprah got there late and was outraged they wouldn’t open the store for her. After all, she is Oprah. And the thing about that is, here is someone who presents herself as a regular person with all of these viewers and yet she demands special treatment.

(continued)

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

6. For all of the success her show has had, for all of the many shows and big audiences, for all of the topics she has done, kindly name one thing where a show she has done has changed anything. I mean something like Upton Sinclair’s “The Jungle” leading to the creation of the Food and Drug Administration; Rachel Carson’s work getting some pesticides banned, or the Washington Post with Watergate. I’m not talking about anything that big, I’m talking about anything outside her show.

7. It seems this woman times everything toward ratings periods. She did that for losing weight three times, and when that got old we got the tearful confession about her using drugs.

8. The biggest problem is that you can’t seem to escape Oprah. With a self-righteous blowhard like Rush Limbaugh, you can generally dismiss him and leave him to the people who would take everything he says as gospel. With a self-righteous and smug person like Oprah, you have to deal with the fact that books become best seller because Oprah decides to feature them and have a Book Club. And then discontinue the Book Club. And then start the Book Club back up again.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Damn, Gold.

Guess I shouldn't have bought you that subscription to Oprah magazine for Christmas.

9. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Barack Obama, we speak your name!

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If she can help any Democrat into office to end the eight dark years of the Bush Administration, then I am all fucking for her and whatever sugar coated book is in her club right now.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I don't mind Oprah, but I hardly ever watch her show. I'm definitely not making my presidential choice based on the recommendations of any talk-show host, that's for sure.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I myself am ambivalent about whether I give a shit.

And Lugnuts, you can't vote! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted