1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll finds 40 percent of sports reporters gamble on sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by As The Crow Flies, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

There are at least two or three different pools in the press box each week and I'm sure the same number circulating the infield media center.

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Damn. I had the under.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I'll bet you all $400 I can get you betting by the end of this day.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, it's like the birthright of being on staff or one of the football writers.

On the contrary, somewhat, I think high school picks are fun if done correctly. The prep readers eat that stuff up. But college and pro picks, meh. Print the Vegas line and leave it at that.

5. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

When I saw that, that's what immediately made me think this poll was bogus. I'd say it's more like 60 percent and 45 percent.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Whether you gamble or not, does having a working knowledge of sports gambling help you do your job?

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That 74% is almost as bad a number as Boise State - 5 1/2 was.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The almost-uniform horribly-bad job general assignment reporters do on gambling stories answers that question -- as if it needed an answer.

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

most heavy sports bettors are self-loathers anyway. they'd probably just chalk it up to their own bad luck, not the coaches or players. there was a great section in mike freeman's espn book about the excessive gambling that would go on there in the 80s, early 90s. i guess a ton of crew and production people had some serious cash on a random west coast baseball game that was completely meaningless, and berman said on air, "and in a game that had no meaning whatsoever here in bristol..."

ah, the good old days.

10. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

You can bet your sweet ass that if a newspaper executive gets a hold of this, they'll be an increase in paperwork where you guys will sign a "conflict of interest" note and be refrained, under penalty of dismissal, from betting on any sport, whether you actually cover it or not. Just another punch in the gut from the boys in the boardroom who seek to make the workplace fun.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I know too much about sports to bet on it.

But I did win the press box attendance pool in Cincinnati three days in a row.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There was one major metro paper a few years back whose agate clerks were bookmaking when not taking scores on the phone. They were eventually caught, all fired, and the sports dept. instituted a big in-house anti-gambling clause (you couldn't even have a $5 NCAA pool).

Yes that's awful, yet I smile a little when being reminded of that story. I think a little bit of sports gambling knowledge is fine, even respectable. Doesn't mean you have to know how to read the Daily Racing Form, but you should be able to understand "DENVER -7 Oakland (42)". It's basic sports vernacular.

Draft saved Draft deleted