1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Politics, religion ... what else?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Feb 7, 2011.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Just teaches them to be passive aggressive and manipulative from an early age.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't mind wading into politics or religion.

Abortion is too emotional/anger inducing.

Agree with Luggie on homeschooling and discipline.

Those are two dangerous topics where you can easily regret what you say as well.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Hall of Fame worthiness. Definitely avoid it.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You called out someone talking trash on a singer you like.

5. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

Stay-at-home vs. working moms

There are definitely some people I won't talk sports with because it goes from good-natured to heated far too quickly.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Wrong. I've never purchased a Christina Aguilera CD. I haven't listened to anything she's put out since that Candyman song.

I just hate things that are tossed about like they put thought into them, when they didn't. That guy said "I didn't expect much when I saw who was performing," and that's a throwaway joke. She's not a lipsyncer (though she probably should have been last night, apparently). I was calling him out on his lack of thought or original ideas or really even having any idea what he was talking about.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't argue with IJAG about anything.

8. imjustagirl

I can't argue with you, Ace. You're the smartest boy ever.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So you respect but don't like her. I'm fine with that.

10. imjustagirl

I just think she has an amazing instrument. She may not always use it in the best ways (Dirrty, anyone?) but she has got a gift that many in her profession would love to have.

To say you didn't expect much from an anthem performed by her seemed like a lazy comment to me. "She was on the Mickey Mouse Club. She's a joke." Untrue.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

No question she has an unbelievable set of pipes. Still, I wouldn't have liked her rendition of the national anthem even if she'd remembered the words. That's one song I prefer to keep simple, sans all the vocal runs, which in my opinion are designed to glorify the performer. The song is intended to glorify the flag.

As for the botched lyrics ... that's unprofessional. Getting the words right is the absolute minimum requirement, and she failed miserably.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Anal sex.

Draft saved Draft deleted