1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Politics board

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Does anyone else think it is time for the politics board to be reinstated? It seems like the majority of posters, left and right, can at least get along and not get into the personal insults and juvenile garbage that led to the board getting shut down in the first place.

Sure, we all fly off the handle occasionally and post something we shouldn't (I know I have done it), but all the people who get into the political discussions around here seem to at least be able to discuss things with a modicum of respect.

Just my two cents.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Nope.

One problem is that the political disputes spill out as personality conflicts in the other threads. The other problem is that a lot of people have gone away since the politics ban went into effect; that's the big reason the tone has been more civil, but those people would be back as soon as the ban was lifted, and they would bring the ugliness with them.

Mods have given quite a bit of latitude in allowing politics. But there's a difference between allowing it and inviting it.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Yes, the mods have been very lenient and I think most of us appreciate that. But do you really think the politics board would bring back those that left? It has been a year or so...they probably have moved on and have their new stomping grounds.

But I understand what you are saying...I just think it would be a lot different than it was when things were at their worst.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No - it's fine as is. Politics board seemed to up the anti. Important issue political discussions within confines of Sports and News have remained relatively informative and civilized.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No politics board.

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I think we're pretty much discussing anything of political importance here. I don't think a new politics board would instantly bring back the headhunters, but if we can have nine pages of (relatively) civil Anthony Wiener discussion without it, why bring it back -- especially just before the '12 campaign tests our nerves?

8. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Heck, 30 pages of Weiner's wiener. That is surprising.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Right now the board seems to be in a place of threads along the lines of "this is a legitimate news event so we will discuss it and there will naturally be political implications and sides to take." The politics board will turn it back into "Nancy Pelosi said this and John Boehner said this and I think Harry Reid fucks sheep in his spare time and neener neener WE WON THE VIRGINIA SECOND DISTRICT ASSEMBLYMAN ELECTION SO SUCK IT YOUR SIDE IS GOING DOWN IN 2012!!!!!"

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

or weiner weiner

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Yeah, a little conflict on a message board is such a dastardly thing, and clearly so bad for business.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It should never have disappeared to begin with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.