1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Politics and journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Apex, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Apex

Apex Member

I was approached by the Field Director for the campaign of a local state representative. They want me to write articles "responding to things [the opponent] has done or said."

I know about and respect the line between journalism and politics, and I've already pretty much decided to turn down the offer. My question: Is that the type of job that once you take, you can't go back into journalism? How much, if any, back and forth goes on in the media world today?

Any further comments on that type of work is appreciated as well.

2. I've always thought you couldn't go back.
    But so many people have at this point that I'm beginning to think it's a matter of personal conscience. If you don;t feel you can come back, you probably can't.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Bill Safire used to write speeches for Nixon. The line has been crossed before and will be crossed again.

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

You could always get a job working for Fox News or the Washington Times.

5. But Bill Safire then took a job as a columnist, not just an average gotta-be-objective bylined reporter.

6. Or CNN (right, Paul Begala?) or the New York Times.

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad idea. I wouldn't do it. Matter of fact, if a guy asked me to do that, I would be deeply offended. People do it more and more, but that certainly doesn't make it right. And it feeds into bad impressions, that assholes with biases against the media exploit. So by doing that, you're making other people's jobs even harder.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

as people said, there are definitely examples of this happening. but i think the begalas and safires and stephanopolous' (not sure if he started as a journalist but he's one now, isn't he?) are the exceptions.

i think it's a whole different ballgame if you go work for the local state rep's campaign and then want to get back into journalism compared with working at the white house.

Draft saved Draft deleted