1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Politician takes on online commenters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TrooperBari, May 10, 2011.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Warning: this could be NSFW if you speak Polish.
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/easternapproaches/2011/05/smears_and_slurs_poland

The papers whose Web sites included the comments have taken them down and "apologized unreservedly." Good on them for doing the decent thing, but can you see a US politician going so far as to sue a paper and/or Web site for its online comments? Or do media outlets only open themselves up to lawsuits if they take ownership of the comments by moderating the discussion?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So it is ok for Moderators to start political threads?

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I know Polish politics is a hot-button issue around these parts, but I thought it was worth the risk.

Stay classy, Boom.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. mrbigles01

mrbigles01 Member

I honestly wish more people did this. I've never seen a comment section that added anything to the story. They are cesspools of uninformed, ignorant nonsense.

I can't for the life of me understand why any serious news organization allows that kind of crap to exist on their site, even when its not anti-Semitic.

6. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Traffic. It's all about the clicks (which still haven't translated into Benjamins).

Draft saved Draft deleted