1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Politician takes on online commenters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TrooperBari, May 10, 2011.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Active Member

Warning: this could be NSFW if you speak Polish.

The papers whose Web sites included the comments have taken them down and "apologized unreservedly." Good on them for doing the decent thing, but can you see a US politician going so far as to sue a paper and/or Web site for its online comments? Or do media outlets only open themselves up to lawsuits if they take ownership of the comments by moderating the discussion?
  2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So it is ok for Moderators to start political threads?
  3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Active Member

I know Polish politics is a hot-button issue around these parts, but I thought it was worth the risk.

Stay classy, Boom.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. mrbigles01

mrbigles01 Member

I honestly wish more people did this. I've never seen a comment section that added anything to the story. They are cesspools of uninformed, ignorant nonsense.

I can't for the life of me understand why any serious news organization allows that kind of crap to exist on their site, even when its not anti-Semitic.
  6. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Traffic. It's all about the clicks (which still haven't translated into Benjamins).
Draft saved Draft deleted