1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Political Sociology -- SOMEBODY Finally Had The Guts To Write It

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That they're not as adept at pandering to the lowest common denominator?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Or they didn't have Karl Rowe in charge of election strategy.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Exactly. Let's not discuss issues. Let's confuse the masses by attacking the character of a political adversary.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

But, but, but I've seen the signs outside of Midland, Texas, that say it is the home of George W. and Laura Bush. I've always wanted to egg the sign or add an addendum about how it is the home of Laura Bush, boyfriend killer.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

The Bush home in Midland.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The political theorist Mr. Hank Williams Jr. worked this out years ago:

I had a good friend in New York City
    He never called me by my name, just "hillbilly"
    My grandpa taught me how to live off the land
    And his taught him to be a businessman
    He used to send me pictures of the Broadway nights
    And I’d send him some homemade wine

But he was killed by a man with a switchblade knife
    For 43 dollars my friend lost his life
    Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
    And shoot him with my old 45
    Cause a country boy can survive
    Country folks can survive ...

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

What boyfriend did Laura Bush kill?

We must have it confused with Chappaquidick...

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Well played.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Hey I love the show. Anything making fun of the political clowns on both sides is worth a laugh.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

She ran a stop sign, struck a car, and the crash killed the car's occupant, who was a classmate and friend of hers, though not her "boyfriend".

You didn't know about this? Criminy.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The writer's use of "Jesus Christ Superstar" to illustrate his point is incredibly ignorant of the times when the show was first produced. It didn't come out of nowhere. It was preceded by several years of the mostly longhaired "Jesus Freak movement" among the young, and of course was accompanied by some people's desire to make a buck off it. I remember seeing bibles translated into slang to better reach the "cats and chicks" out there. There was a book titled "Treat Me Cool, Lord," for instance. So to an extent, mainstream society had been desensitized to the notion of Christianity as pop culture by the time the play hit the stage. While some thought "JC Superstar" was sacrilege, many of the traditionalists viewed such activities as safer, better diversions for longhairs than having to watch them drop acid and copulate in the town square. So they tolerated a lot of it, even seeing King Herod appear to be, well, flaming gay. "Jesus Christ Superstar" wasn't the beginning of something, it was that thing having become so mainstream that show tunes were written about it. Then and now, those who were shocked or offended were for the most part people who enjoyed saying they were shocked and offended.

And it went right over a lot of heads. When I encountered "JC Superstar," I was in sixth grade of a rural but not Southern K-through-8 school. The new music teacher was the elderly wife of a preacher, and the only thing that was mildly controversial about her teaching us the songs of "Jesus Christ Superstar" was the mention of Jesus in a public school (Can she do that? Yeah, go ahead). She wanted to reach us kids with "your own music," and she found another one she just loved -- the hairy guys were singing about "sweet Jesus." Name of the song was "One Toke Over The Line." Now what the heck is a "toke?" -- must be slang for something, but what difference does that make, they're singing about Jesus, after all. One week the record vanished from the pile. Seems her son had come home from college and told her what a "toke" was. And she wasn't alone, apparently. In checking a fact before posting this, I learned that the Lawrence Welk Singers had performed "One Toke Over The Line" on his show.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

According to the papers in West Texas, she was drunker than drunk when she did it.

Good times.

Draft saved Draft deleted