1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Political/social commentary by sports journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by checkswinger, Jun 18, 2011.

1. checkswinger

checkswinger Member

Appreciate all the feedback. Lots of good points to consider.

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

This is pretty much my view. If – big if – there is some political issue that directly affects my beat, then I am well within my rights and quite qualified as a reporter and columnist to comment on that issue.

Other than that, though, my opinion on random political subjects is irrelevant and has no place in the paper.

The one and only time I violated that principle was when my son was deployed to Iraq and I wrote an op-ed piece questioning the wisdom of the war, and tying it into a parent's concerns for their child's well-being. That was actually quite well-received.

3. Maybe someone can help me out ... I think it was Jim Murray who said something along the lines of how sports writers and columnists have a platform and it should be used for things outside sports, like to speak out against social injustice.

Columnists who use Twitter, Facebooks, blogs and even the sports page to occasionally step outside the ropes aren't much different than celebs who are politically active.
    What's the point of having a platform with a built-in audience if you don't use it? Just be careful you don't come off looking like a moron and lose your audience and their respect.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Look at this way: Today people who criticize a story, for whatever reason, demand to know where the writer stands politically, what his biases are, even if the writer does not talk or write about politics.
    You just have to be careful and use your best judgment about the forum and the content. I comment on politics all the time on my Facebook status, but for the most part avoid commentary on affairs in the town I work in (I talk much more about state and national issues there, anyway).
    As one of my co-workers said the night of 9-11 about all the rampant political incorrectness and gallows humor in the newsroom that night, we let it out here so it doesn't get into in the paper.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Based on some of sports journalists political commentary here at SJ, I think they should avoid in a column.

Draft saved Draft deleted