1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Political Gumbo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Surfing across TV waves and stumble across C-SPAN for today's CPAC convention or something, a Republican dealy. First off, Duncan Hunter is an interesting Republican candidate for president. Total Reaganite. Made an interesting proclamation that if elected he'd pardon the two border patrol agents sent to the federal pen for killing the Mexican drug smugglers. His coming-out speech was, for the most part, sharp. He didn't say the words "against abortion" but in a cunning bit semantics said that he wouldn't appoint a federal judge for nomination if he/she looked at a sonogram and didn't agree that what he saw wasn't a viable (can't remember the exact word, but viable is close enough) life.

Anyway, another Republican feller who started the web site stophernow.com talked a bit and directed me to see what this Hilary Clinton cartoon was all about. I'll let you check it out ...

http://www.stophernow.com/site/PageServer?pagename=hillary_show_ep1

2. Songbird

This is the first time I've heard Mike Huckabee speak publicly. Now this guy talks like a POTUS.

Any Arkansas SportsJournalists.commers with thoughts about him?

Edit: Mike Huckabee will be the Republican candidate for POTUS.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not a member of arkansasSportsJournalists.com, but I can respect Huckabee. That said, I don't trust the GOP leadership no matter how strong a candidate they nominate.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Republicans make me cry.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Two words: Wayne DuMond. Go to your googling
    Crazy Ann Coulter also spoke and here's one report...

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't know. If Dumond (a Dukakis-ian case of bad judgment) is the worst Huck will have to answer for on the stump, he'll skate compared with what Clinton got from the loonies.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

I would love for Huckabee to continue Arkansas' dominance of presidential politics.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Won't parents force him to appoint all those freshman Razorbacks to the Cabinet?

9. Songbird

Good morning, just woke up. Know what put me to sleep? Giuliani's speech. Not presidential material. At all. Reagan is his hero, and while that doesn't disqualify him, the arguments and salient points he tried to make were cluttered. Had he inserted George (currrent) Bush's name into the speech, it would've been the same exact premise. All I kept thinking about during the speech was, "Geez, is he talking about Ronald Reagan or George Bush?"

Anyway, of Duncan Hunter, Mike Huckabee and Rudy Giuliani -- all of whom spoke yesterday -- Huckabee is fluent, sharp as a whip, the type of guy that, if I were a Republican, I'd seriously consider. He's going to run with the "Not Wall Street, not K Street, but Main Street USA." His first stump yesterday was effective. He'll win many, many hearts along the trail.

Draft saved Draft deleted