1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Political Cowardice: Chris Christie Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm always amused by the argument that the New Testament replaced the Old Testament ... except for the fact that the Old Testament is still used for SOME things. But the things we don't like anymore, those were replaced by the New Testament. That's the realm of idiots.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Trooper is ...

[​IMG]

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I wasn't writing about the story of Abraham.

I was thinking of the instruction in Deuteronomy 21 regarding a disobedient son.

There are 613 commandments in the Old Testament. Which do we keep? Which do we ignore?

We take up what suits us, and ignore the others.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The Talmud already says that that never happened and never will - there are all kinds of details necessary that make it impossible - and then explore what it was written to teach us.

It is the only such example.
    [/quote]

I was thinking of the instruction in Deuteronomy 21 regarding a disobedient son.

[/quote]

I know, me too.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

[/quote]

I know, me too.
    [/quote]

But the notion recurs in Matthew.

7. Guy_Incognito

I know, me too.
    [/quote]

But the notion recurs in Matthew.

[/quote]

Don't know anything about the NT.

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

May I step in for a moment, Guy?

The Torah does not countenance capital punishment for children. Once a child is an adult, they no longer answer to their parents. Talmud deduces that there is a period of a few months where this passage MIGHT apply.

So what would it take to get yourself executed during that window? Easy--your father and mother must bring you to the elders (later, the court) and speak "with one voice" against you. It's physically impossible.

Thus endeth your introduction to Talmudic reasoning. Carry on.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

While I'm at it, the verb "mishk'vei" in Leviticus 18:22, which is commonly translated as "lie with," is the verb used in the Torah for sex with overtones of subjugation or humiliation. It is not the verb used for normal sexual relations. You can take lots of tangents from there, but at least start by knowing what you're talking about.

OK, I will now cede the discussion to Guy, who's much more polite.

10. Guy_Incognito

Exactly. And it's not just the one voice, there are 2 or 3 others that make it impossible.

OK, here you're on your own. I've heard this argument before, but ifirst, I find it extremely unconvincing. Second, all of the true authorities on the subject find it unconvincing.

We might not like what it says, but that doesn't mean we can just change it. Even when there is a Rabbinic will, there isn't always a halachik way, but it seems like the rest of this conversation is probably better off on PMs if you're interested.

Draft saved Draft deleted