1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police say Ray Rice is a big Lawrence Phillips fan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 19, 2014.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Schefter on TV yesteray: "He's one of the highest character individuals in that organization."

Do people even think about what they are saying?

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Forgot about it in terms of embracing him on the field again.

The media's "redemption" stories started before he even left prison.

Roger Goodell said he would give Vick every chance to succeed and "put this behind him."

Jeff Lurie basically said, "I have deep reservations, BUT..." he'll help us win, so fuck it.

Andy Reid basically said, "I don't like it, BUT..." he'll help us win, so fuck it.

Most Eagles fans I know, and I know a lot, could not have cared less about what Vick did. Because they knew Kevin Kolb was going to suck and they'd need a quarterback to help them win, so fuck it.

3. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Ray Rice uppercuts his fiancée: Likely suspension, organization reluctantly supports him.

Ray Rice uppercuts his fiancé: Locker room distraction. Career over.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Had to read that three times before I got it, or even saw the difference between the two statements.

5. YankeeFan

And, don't even get me started on the poor customer service Eagles fans are willing to put up with at home games.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I spent a year of my life prosecuting domestic violence.

You give me a case where everything is on video and the assault is violent, and I'd give you an active jail sentence.

I suspect Ray Rice is going to be sitting out next season because he's going to be unavailable for at least part of it, although I admit to not being an expert on Jersey criminal law.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The customer service was excellent in the in-stadium courthouse and jail.

It was all downhill when they got rid of those.

8. YankeeFan

That's what I'm thinking too.

Too often, the victim doesn't want to pursue charges. And, while the prosecution can go on with out their participation, it's not easy.

If this is all on video, they don't need her cooperation. He's going to have to try and plead to something to stay out of jail, if they'll let him.

But, they don't have much incentive to offer him a plea.

9. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Meanwhile, the Ravens foolishly seem to think this will all fade, and don't foresee a scenario where Rice isn't a member of the team in 2014.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-john-harbaugh-expects-ray-rice-to-remain-with-ravens-following-arrest-20140221,0,6817092.story

10. YankeeFan

I'd post a quote from that article, but every single thing he says is so stupid, I don't know where to start.

If you didn't know he had knocked his wife out cold in a public place, and then dragged her around like a rag doll, you'd think he was talking about a traffic ticket.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He must have gotten crisis management advice from his brother. When Aldon Smith got his DUI, Harbaugh went over to the jail to pick him up, shrugged his shoulders about any discipline (it was a league matter) and put him on the field two days later. Only after public outcry did the team owner step in and say Smith was going to rehab.

12. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Harbaugh has a 13-year-old daughter, btw, in case you want to be more disgusted by those dumbass quotes.

Draft saved Draft deleted