1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police say Ray Rice is a big Lawrence Phillips fan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 19, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Spousal abuse is rib-tickling.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

MMQB reports police have video of Rice knocking her out.

https://twitter.com/RobertKlemko/status/436692985594781696

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Source says police have yet-to-be-released video of Ray Rice
    knocking fiancée unconscious before dragging her. Expect a suspension."

Don't really care all that much about a suspension.
    An arrest is fine by me, with a hefty civil suit to follow.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I wonder if she was concussed.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Payback for when she hit Jacaoby Jones upside his head with the bottle.

6. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Ray Rice: Overrated as a player, underrated as an asshole.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I suppose he'll get another chance from somebody, but it also wouldn't surprise me if this was career-ending. Video of a guy knocking his girlfriend out, then dragging her unconscious out of an elevator? You don't get past that.

I can't imagine any GM being willing to take on the ensuing headache, particularly in an era in which running backs are considered somewhat fungible.

He might be done.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Has that ever been proven to be true?

Players get chance after chance. There will be a writer out there that will write his redemption story and convince people he's changed. He will find god and the suckers will fall for it.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The only players whose careers are ruined by stuff like this are the players who weren't that good to begin with.

Your ability as a player has a direct correlation to what the league and its fans will forgive.

10. Dick Whitman

I grant your point, and I thought about that, too. It's certainly possible. But there are two things that make this different.

First, this is just a different era, where domestic violence - and player off-the-field behavior generally - is taken more seriously. There are more female football fans than ever before, and there are more women in power in the United States, generally, than ever before.

Second, the video. It's one thing to know that Brandon Marshall knocked around his girlfriend. It's another thing to watch Ray Rice do it with your own two eyes. That changes things, I think.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Not sure if I should agree with Dick, which I do, or go with:

As long as the Ravens apologize on his behalf, I'll be satisfied.

Anyone who wouldn't be satisfied with that, won't be satisfied with anything.

I think Ray needs to just lay low, stay off of twitter, don't do any interviews, and wait for this to blow over.

12. Dick Whitman

A third difference: He knocked her unconscious. Guys have hit and pushed around wives and girlfriends. But knocking someone's lights out is another level of sickening depravity. It's a little too close to death, I think, for people to forgive and forget the way they may, for example, a set of stitches over the eyebrow.

Draft saved Draft deleted